Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how rare is a 500se? I have a Euro 500SE with an SEC front end. It need lots of cosmetic and some mechanical work. Is it worth spending the money and fixing it up or should I get rid of it? You gusy think it will worth something when and if finished?

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
ChopTop250SE said:
Hey guys, how rare is a 500se? I have a Euro 500SE with an SEC front end. It need lots of cosmetic and some mechanical work. Is it worth spending the money and fixing it up or should I get rid of it? You gusy think it will worth something when and if finished?
In the states I don't think they're that common and the SEC front end is nice depending on what people like. As with just about anything it's how far gone is it? I doubt that you could turn a profit on it in the short run though.

·
Registered
1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not thinking as far as profit, just wanted to get a feel if it is worth spending money on. It is not that far gone...needs paint, upholstery (velur right now), some mechanical...not sure what exactly. I have never put time into it. Long time ago somebody owed me small amount of money so I took that car from them, and it has been sitting ever since.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
420 SE said:
There were 33,418 produced - most I imagine went into the Euro market.

I would hazard a guess they are rare in the US.
They were never sold new by Mercedes in the USA, so all of them you'll see in the USA are gray market cars.

But a fair number of 500SE and 500SEL euro spec cars made it into the USA, because of the savings you could get over new ones at the MB dealers, by importing and converting them to DOT/USA specifications.

Very very few of them were converted to the SEC front end, because it was a matter of taste, and few people wanted that look, and it basically was an expensive conversion, you needed different fenders and hood, and inner fenders to make it work - basically, an entire front clip.

Whether it's worth it to fix up and sell, is hard to say. It depends on the condition of the car, how much work it would take.

But these days, the lst generation W126 gas powered sedans and coupes aren't bringing the big dollars.

In fact you'd be lucky to get over $4,000 for one, I would think. I'd think carefully before sinking big money into restoring one, with an idea to recouping the money on resale.

It's not likely you could resell it for much of a profit.

There is not much of a demand for them, good cars though they are, whether they are a euro spec or US spec sedan, with SEC front end on it, or not.

Now, if it was a 1969 Camaro you had there, well, that would be another story entirely.......

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
Picturessss please. I Would love to see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts