Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I first got my car, my odometer gears didn't work.

Following Nobby's stellar guide, I was able to find a gear set that matched the gears that I were mushed up.

Well, it turns out that the previous idiots who repaired the broken odometer gears before me used INCORRECT gears which I've proceeded to replace with more incorrect gears.

It starts out tracking mileage correctly, but eventually gets more and more out of sync. I filled up my car after about 50ish miles and discovered that I was getting 18.5 mpg. Ran it to empty which had me at 300 miles and was getting an abysmal 15.6mpg.

I pulled out a trusty GPS and inspected my mileage. It turns out, as the mileage on the odometer goes up it gets more inaccurate.

I literally have purchased the wrong sets of gears 3 times now and I'm absolutely furious with myself.

So I ask, what in god's name are the correct E1,E2, and E3 gears that I need to buy for a 1984 380SL US spec model? Does anyone with a comparable car have a record of gears they purchased so I can match it and be done with this? I hate having a non-functioning odometer and tripometer.

Edit: the gear that meshes with E3 and then connects to the final gear before meshing with the numbers ha 44 teeth on it. According to this site http://www.odometergears.com/products/Mercedes-Benz/SL+(107)+81-89/48, I should be using 16/48 which I have.

So why do I keep losing a miles each time I drive?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
Back when I first got my car, my odometer gears didn't work.

Following Nobby's stellar guide, I was able to find a gear set that matched the gears that I were mushed up.

Well, it turns out that the previous idiots who repaired the broken odometer gears before me used INCORRECT gears which I've proceeded to replace with more incorrect gears.

It starts out tracking mileage correctly, but eventually gets more and more out of sync. I filled up my car after about 50ish miles and discovered that I was getting 18.5 mpg. Ran it to empty which had me at 300 miles and was getting an abysmal 15.6mpg.

I pulled out a trusty GPS and inspected my mileage. It turns out, as the mileage on the odometer goes up it gets more inaccurate.

I literally have purchased the wrong sets of gears 3 times now and I'm absolutely furious with myself.

So I ask, what in god's name are the correct E1,E2, and E3 gears that I need to buy for a 1984 380SL US spec model? Does anyone with a comparable car have a record of gears they purchased so I can match it and be done with this? I hate having a non-functioning odometer and tripometer.

Edit: the gear that meshes with E3 and then connects to the final gear before meshing with the numbers ha 44 teeth on it. According to this site Odometer Gears - Mercedes-Benz - SL (107) 81-89, I should be using 16/48 which I have.

So why do I keep losing a miles each time I drive?
Dude.
Call them.
I had to call them as my gear wasn't listed on their site. Very nice, knowledgeable.

·
29,105 Posts

·
29,105 Posts
Check the tutorial. I don't recall.
So I went back to check.
I never mentioned what gears I used.
I'm an idiot.

·
29,105 Posts
So I went back to check.
I never mentioned what gears I used.
I'm an idiot.
I just got off the Odometer Gear website. Looks like it's been updated since I used it those many years ago.
they now include a full line of gear counts.

M-B Non-US 107 Electronic Three Odometer Gear Set

There are multiple tooth count options for this application. E3 gear has 48 teeth on the outside and then between 12 and 21 teeth on the underside gear, original gear is amber in color. (Must count teeth on original gear before ordering). {If you cannot count the teeth on the main gear then count the teeth of the next gear that it meshes with. If your tooth count is 39=48x21, 41=48x19, 42=48x18, 43=48x17, 44=48x16, 45=48x15, 46=48x14, 47=48x13, 48=48x12}

·
Registered
426 Posts
Originally Quoted by okyoureabeast
If the gears are meshing properly and shafts are not slipping then the mileage error should be constant (i.e. right all the time or wrong by the same amount all the time). Can you find an interstate with mile markers and check how close it is to those? If it reads .95 for every mile then after 5 miles you will be off 1/4 of a mile and after a hundred miles off 5 miles, etc. If the error is erratic then you may have more than a gear problem. That is a common problem with W123 odometers; in their failed state one of the shafts spins in a gear without turning the gear.

On the old gears I took out, I laid them out in their several pieces and carefully counted the number of teeth on each one. I then went to Odometer Gears Website and found the set I needed and ordered them.

Good luck?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worst case, you could buy another odometer, but I you aren’t getting consistent results, I agree that something must start slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might go this route since the whole odometer thing is a NIGHTMARE.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Man, I remember going through this. My odometer broke on the drive home from the sellers house in West Chester PA. I reset the trip and *CRUNCH*. There went the odo. Have ordered a few sets of gears, but ultimately gave up. With the amount of money I’ve put into this car, and how much I love it, I don’t plan on ever selling. I mean, it’s at 81 380...

If it were me, I’d send the cluster off and have it done by someone else. After my experience (horrible), I would really hate to have it “function” and be off by a 1/4 of a mile or whatever.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I tend to agree with sending it out. You reach a point where the never ending stress is just not worth it. A shop which specializes in these things will have the tools and check equipment to get it right and verify that it works and all you need to do is reinstall it. Also, what you spend on all kinds of gears will make up for the cost of sending it out. Unless you want a gear farm at your house.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The irony is, it was sent off to someone previously and I have a receipt from the early 00s as proof. The place is no longer in business which doesn't surprise me.

I'm hesitant to send it off again to pay someone to half @$$idly repair it which seems to be my experience with outsourcing work for these cars.

I'll live with it for the time being and replace it with a known functioning spedo when the time is right.

Thanks for the advice gents.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Half assed, really? I’m surprised. Most folks that do this type of specialized work seem to take great care. Unfortunate that you had a bad experience. I had the contact of someone who repaired Mercedes odo’s back when I was considering, but I’ve lost it, unfortunately. I’m sure someone here “knows a guy”...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Half assed, really? I’m surprised. Most folks that do this type of specialized work seem to take great care. Unfortunate that you had a bad experience. I had the contact of someone who repaired Mercedes odo’s back when I was considering, but I’ve lost it, unfortunately. I’m sure someone here “knows a guy”...
It's just my darn luck really. Can't have any easy break ya know?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're near LA, I hear that these guys are fantastic. Sorry to hear about your issues, I just replaced my gears and things went smoothly... though now you've got me worried and I'm going to have to make sure that it's turning the correct mileage.

North Hollywood Speedometer
Hehe, they're right down the street from me. I drive past them all of the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts