Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380se
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old baby has returned to me. I bought this car in 2001 to have a nice drive back from california. It WAS a nice drive. When I got back I drove it for about a year...It has sat until now. It got drove around here and there but never much. My grandparents have had it the whole time.

I talked them into giving it back to me. I didnt expect it to run as well as it does. It fired up at the first turn of the key! It runs great, drives great...and everything works.

I have been reading a bit here and there about timing chains and rollers and stuff. I am fairly mechanically adept, but mostly with older Volkswagen stuff. If anyone could fill me in or link me to some information on things I should look at for this car, that would be awesome... It's in really good shape, and I'd like to do everything I can to keep it that way!

The problems are a bit of a clunk in the front end (ball joints?) cruise control doesnt work, AC needs a recharge, and the box springs in the front seats suck.... It also seems to have a slight miss at idle, but runs cherry once you are on the gas...

plans are either air bags and 17'' amg monoblocks or the H&R springs that are available...

1984 380se...

here are some pictures...

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Welcome to the forum, K!

Sweet ride. Lots of little mods that you can do to spruce her up. Great potential. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 380se
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jammerkiller said:
Welcome to the forum, K!

Sweet ride. Lots of little mods that you can do to spruce her up. Great potential. :)
what do you reccomend? whats out there?

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you update your profile, others can provide location/model specific answers to your questions.

The search function may reveal answers to your or similar questions from others.

Cheers

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
I'd tell you to keep your current light configuration. A lot of owners like the euro headlights instead of the NAM versions. Black out the grille, new wheels/tires, the H&R springs that you talked about, don't forget about the front bumper paint peeling. :)

Like 420 SE said, check the "search this forum" function and type in whatever you are thinking about for an upgrade.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1984 380se
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I love venturing into a new world :p I currently shoot features for eurotuner, performance vw, and performance bmw magazines. Maybe we can do some benz work on down the line. :cool:

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500 4Matic / 2008 W211 E350 4Matic
997 Posts
If you can replace the rings on a Microbus by yourself (including dropping the block and dead-lifting the ass of the Bus over the mill) you won't find any 380 repairs too daunting. It isn't the least reliable 126 you can buy, but you won't need to replace rotted heat exchanger chambers either. God, I hated that bus. My college roommate had it, and when he found out I restored European cars, my weekends were pretty much ruined for a few years...

·
Registered
1984 380se
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have built a vw rabbit from a shell w/ a motor swap on megasquirt and ITB's...how's that? :) :p It's just a new learning curve thats all... I always try to learn as much as I can before getting dirty.

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500 4Matic / 2008 W211 E350 4Matic
997 Posts
Getting dirty is the only way to learn! If you are comfortable with that level of work, you'll be in for a smooth ride. Good luck, and have fun!!!

·
Registered
1984 380se
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300se126 said:
Getting dirty is the only way to learn! If you are comfortable with that level of work, you'll be in for a smooth ride. Good luck, and have fun!!!

thanks :) I think my first order of business is the timing chain. there is about 9-11 degrees of play.... :eek:

Then I will probably replace all suspension bushings...

Then H&R springs and Bilsteins

Then wheels

Then seats

then drive :)

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Digital K said:
thanks guys, I love venturing into a new world :p I currently shoot features for eurotuner, performance vw, and performance bmw magazines. Maybe we can do some benz work on down the line. :cool:
not to offend, but i've noticed that eurotuner has become another dub mag. i doubt there'd ever be a feature of the 126 enthusiasts. haha.. i'm an ex-dubber, and i can definately say that my knowledge has extended from VW to MB as far as the CIS is concerned. one mod i'll suggest to you is euro bumpers. the US spec bumpers are equivalent to a park bench, IMO.

·
Registered
1984 380se
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NüR-SPEC said:
not to offend, but i've noticed that eurotuner has become another dub mag. i doubt there'd ever be a feature of the 126 enthusiasts. haha.. i'm an ex-dubber, and i can definately say that my knowledge has extended from VW to MB as far as the CIS is concerned. one mod i'll suggest to you is euro bumpers. the US spec bumpers are equivalent to a park bench, IMO.
Maybe maybe not. If you worked at burger king would you be offended if I said I didnt like their fries? No sweat man. I'm freelance anyways. :thumbsup: Where to find eurobumpers?

·
Registered
1984 380se
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Batou said:
well, if you CAN find them...

i'd hit up the local junkyards first.
here's whats at the yard at the moment...all within the last couple of weeks.

1986 300E
1985 300D
1988 750

750? :confused:

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
if your willing to pay shipping or your in the area, i just saw three sets of early euro bumpers and maaaybe a later set of euros :D :D :D

i also found an aluminum hood, and 6 aluminum bootlids. i'll be swapping to save some weight..

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
well jesus, see if anyone closer to you has them first! haha.. your gonna make me work!? hahaha.. i'll find out tomorrow since the JY is closed, but i believe the colors of the euros were silver, black, that odd bluish-green color and i think some more silver. what color is your car? if i can't find your exact color, i'll just pick the best condition ones.

·
Registered
1984 380 SE
150 Posts
Digital K said:
plans are either air bags and 17'' amg monoblocks or the H&R springs that are available...

1984 380se...
Nice 380SE Digital K. I have the same year and model and colour! I've just booked into a custom shop for installation of airbags. Should look damn sweet! I do recommend blacking out that grill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts