Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm deeply in love with my 1984 300SD. I've had it for around 4 years now and have had numerous repairs done on it, including a conversion to waste vegetable oil (done by me), a new radiator, new oil coolant lines, rebuilt transmission, a ton of AC work, and many other random repairs costing a lot of money. However, the problems have been endless and it would seem that the saying "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap benz" fits way too well. But after every repair, all I could say was "well at least there's one less thing that can break."

After having put more money in the car than I can even believe, I looked in my coolant reservoir only to notice a little black sludge. After doing research on the forum I'm pretty sure that I've blown my head gasket and everyone seems to say it's near a $2000 repair. I'd consider doing it myself, but with the exception of changing the radiator and installing the veggie oil system, my expertise is limited and I'm unsure of whether or not its worth (or possible) doing myself, if at all.

So here's my real question, and a painful one: Should I cut my losses and get rid of the car? Besides this current issue (and a seemingly endless supply of algae in my gas tank that clogs my inline filter but refuses to die with biocide treatment), there aren't any problems currently. But it would seem like every week there is something else wrong with it. I love this car, but my funds are getting lower and I can't afford to keep fixing problem after problem with no end in sight. Thank you all for your help. This is a decision I never hoped I'd have to face.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. Find out why the head-gasket has popped first....you wouldn't be the first to end up with problems after running on SVO/WVO. I have second-hand experience watching a perfectly decent 200K mile 300TD die in under 10,000 miles after switching to veg.

My 2-cents? Repair, keep it on diesel and drive less. Will cost you less money in the short and long term. Or sell it to someone who will do the same and move on.

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
I'd either replace the HG or swap another engine in if the body is in good shape.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
I say cut your losses and get rid of it. The fact that your gut is even making you consider this should tell you something bud. Obviously you got a bad car for whatever reason, and unless you have money to burn, which you state you don't, just sell it. The problem is, when you tell people of the problems it has, especially the algae, I'm not sure anyone will want it, so you might want to consider donating it to a charity for a tax break, here's some info on doing that: 10 Tips: How to donate a car to charity - Money - 10 Tips - TODAYshow.com

I know you love this car, but there are tons of W126's coming on the market for really good prices nowadays, so if you want another one you should be able to get a good deal. Don't let your heart overrule your head on this one. As someone who has spent much money fixing my own car, I know when it becomes a losing battle I will have to let her go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts