Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 300D that has developed a chirp or squak sometimes when it shifts gears, usually the low gears. It makes the same noise if I abruptly let off the accelerator or abruptly press on the accelerator. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I have a 300D that has developed a chirp or squak sometimes when it shifts gears, usually the low gears. It makes the same noise if I abruptly let off the accelerator or abruptly press on the accelerator. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks.
Nobody has commented on this yet unfortunately. Has anyone experienced this before? I may just take it to a shop where they can shift it up on the lift and hopefully see where the noise is coming from. Maybe it helps to note that I have done much work with transmission systems to get this car shifting right. Troubleshooting vacuum system, adjusting the accelerator linkage, adjusting the bowden cable, testing the vacuum modulator etc. The car shifts smoothly now without excessive flare or excessively hard shifts, it just has this noise. I wonder if its bushings considering the rubbery tennis-shoe squeak characteristic of the noise. An abrupt let off of the accelerator can cause it as well. In fact I wonder if there is some slop in my rear drive line because an abrupt foot back on the accelerator after coasting causes a bit of a clunk. I have had the flex discs replaced recently as well as a new used rear diff, center carrier bearing and axle shafts, so I thought everything should be in order...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts