Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 300 cd I just bought the body and interior are in great shape. The engine has 279k I pressure checked the engine and on cylinder 3 has 110 pounds two other are in the low to mid 200's two are 300. It drives ok. When i crank it it will put out a good bit of white/gray smoke. The smoke goes away after I drive it and dose not smoke while driving. The car sat for about a year and was only driven about 20 miles in that years time.
Anybody else have the same problem? What did you do? Has anyone rebuilt the engine? If so how much did it cost? Has anyone done a swap?
As of now I am just driving it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Archer

·
Registered
285 Posts
i would just drive it till it dies, sell it for parts, then buy another

i'm sure the engine could last a few more years if you don't beat on it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
A rebuild would be too expensive. I think at last the replacment parts alone would be $3000 or so. A crate motor is $6,000. The cheapest way to go is finding a replacement engine which is usually in the $500-1000 range.

Editing your profile to designate your car and location would help other posters.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Find a parts car. I found a runner with lots of good parts and a great motor for $1k.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Adjust the valves and re-check the compression. If still low, do the wet test, then report back.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Try some Restore in the oil it will repair the worn cylinder walls and give you high compression again. Well that's what they claim at least. :)

IMO it can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
it works on diesels, it's not an oil additive it just uses the oil as a carrier for the silicone,lead, silver (secret molecular compond) to reach the worn areas of the cylinder walls. It will not fix the problem but should help it. I had fair results with in on my old pickup it helped with the blowby on it and help keep the plugs from fowling. I don't run it on my benz becasue I don't have a problem with blowby. I would consider it an extender should extend the used of the engine but it's not going to save it.

Product : Restore
Vehicle : '86 Chevy Suburban diesel.
Being a skeptic on additives and TV hype i finally gave in a tried an additive called "RESTORE" in my 86 chevy suburban diesel. At about 140,000 miles it started smoking profusely on cool morning start up. mechanics told me it was incomplete combustion in the cylinders that were losing compression. One can of this stuff and about 100 or so miles for it to do its thing, ta daa smoking stopped. then i tried it in my 305 chevy, (100,000 plus miles on the clock) smoother idle, much improved performance (not the kind like when you wash and wax it) i recommend this in anything that has high miles, just gets a little more life out of a tired engine. PS: the suburban had 240,000 mi when I traded it in.
Bob Piper.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a 1984 300 cd I just bought the body and interior are in great shape. The engine has 279k I pressure checked the engine and on cylinder 3 has 110 pounds two other are in the low to mid 200's two are 300. It drives ok. When i crank it it will put out a good bit of white/gray smoke. The smoke goes away after I drive it and dose not smoke while driving. The car sat for about a year and was only driven about 20 miles in that years time.
Anybody else have the same problem? What did you do? Has anyone rebuilt the engine? If so how much did it cost? Has anyone done a swap?
As of now I am just driving it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Archer
Before condemning the engine, I would drive it a while and see if the smoke goes away. If it has not been driven much for many years, the piston rings may not be sealing properly, but will with some driving. Even if it smokes on startup, but goes away in normal driving, there is likely many miles left in the engine.

If the body and interior are in great condition, and you still need to rebuild the engine, why not? It is getting harder to find these cars in great condition. Just figure out how much it will cost so you don't invest a fortune more than you expected. There is always the used engine route. If you plan on keeping the car and driving it as a daily driver, investing some money in the car may be justified.

I overhauled a non-turbo 300 about four or five years ago, and parts alone were around $1750, not including a rebuilt head for $800. That was everything including pistons and sleeves. I did most of the work myself, so no labor costs. Did have the block top milled flat, which I think was around a $100 or so. I'm sure parts have gone up some since then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told the car has not been driven over 20 miles in the last year or so. I have though that if I drive it for a while then i might regain some compression. I drove it tonight and I can get it to 80 mph+. I have not done a wet test yet but I have checked the valves and they were not over tight and all at the same adjustment. I will wet test next week. Thanks for all the comments they have been helpful.

Chris Archer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts