Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1972 280se 4.5 w108 and 1984 280sel w126 euro
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just picked up my new used 1984 280sel W126 import. Everything is great on it but I notice that there is a swirling hum that comes from the engine or transmission when the car is driven faster than 65 mph. When I accelerate above 65mph the sound goes away. It's only at a constant cruising speed. Any ideas what the sound is from? I checked the tires and they are inflated to the proper psi. When I take my foot off of the gas pedal above 65mph the noise stops. I can't figure it out.

thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my w124 300 E. Apparently the problem was from the wheel bearings that need replacement. You should get a mechanic to check it out on a hoist, then spin the front wheels (by hand) to see whether the 'humming' is from the left or the right wheels.

For my car, I changed both left and right front wheel bearings and seals. That should probably do the job, till now she doesnt hum no more. :D

·
Registered
1985 300sd
69 Posts
wheel bearings

I had the same thing when I was cruising @ 45 miles/h. I thought it was the tires but I had brand new, balanced tires on. It could not be. Well, I took it to my mechanic and it was the right wheel bearing. I had both of them replaced and then the brake calipers that were toasted, and then the brake pads :) . After that, the humming noise went away. I recommend you do the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts