Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the above car today. Glad I found this website, however been a bit confused on which forum to be in since I do not see my model listed anywhere.

/EDIT Link to the car I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4541214911&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Anyhow I bought a used MB today that I ran across on the internet. It is a 1984/2 280 SE here in the US. Original motor and trans. 186K+ miles Odometer not working. Engine and trans runs great, however it has a few issues. Only paid $580.00 USD. I am not even sure where to look since as I understand it, this car was never sold in the US, and has the original bumpers on it. Any help where to point me would be great. Does not smoke anywhere, could not find any oil leaks, however see below

The body is in fair shape but needs some TLC to restore, as does the interior.

My big concern right now, is I am not sure what type of fuel system this car has but I have a problem with it. It runs great but is spewing gas though the breather manifold. I drove it from about 120 miles to my home, with no real major issue with this other then almost everytime I stopped at a light or whatnot the engine would go dead as if I had flooded it.

Okay another issue I have ran across is that I am not sure it is 1984, even though the title shows 1984. I found the import plate to the US showing imported in 1982.

So now I am confused to what year it really is.

Any suggestions?

I have found next to no info on this car yet.

It has the Euro bumpers, but dash converted to US.
The VIN the seller posted was slightly off from the actual VIN. I have it if it might help.

Thanks
Taij

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Yes, you are right the engine is getting flooded with gas, i had the same problem with my 500SE euro, the frequency valve was leaking-so pressure dropped which caused the gas pump to pump more gas so yea-anyways what he did is by pass the frequency valve and its been working perfect ever since then [:D]

·
Registered
A bunch o of 'em - see signautre
224 Posts
The right place...

Congratulations (maybe...)

This is the right place - you have a W126 chassis.

First order of business would be to get the "build card" from MB (go to their website or fax a request to 201-802-2151) and see what you actually have.

I'm not sure that vin in the ebay post is euro? - check the other places on the car where the vin is stamped or posted (drivers "A" pillar, metal tag on radiator support, inside fender in the engine bay on passenger side, etc) and compare to the tag in the door frame to see if everything is original/matching.

You have the M110 engine - keep in mind that the euro 110 has some different specs than the NA (USA) version and some parts will be a little different.

You'll find some differences in the interior trim also in addition to different bumpers but most parts will be the same for the W126. Be aware that there were some changes to the W126 in '86 (I think) and some more pronounced differences in trim occurred across the whole line of 126s.

Good luck and have fun - I enjoy working on little things and sprucing up my '84 280SEL euro as much as cruising country roads (these cars are excellent freeway runners by the way).

Kevin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The VIN from EBAY is a typo, as it is not valid. The only number I found sort of resembles a VIN on the import plate on the drivers side door frame. WDB12602212073841

But I thought it was s'posed to have some letters in it?

Anyhow it does run great down the interstate.

Will other MB parts fit it?

This is my first MB, and I have to say even with the wear and tear this on has it seems put together very well.

Another strange problem I noticed is the AC does work, but only if the ignition key is turned to almost cranked, but then stops if you crank it.

Thanks,
Taij

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Can't really say anything positive about the car but the price you paid for. I hope you don't invest too much into it as it will probably be a money-pit.

I ran you VIN in one of those VIN decoders and got this info for you...

VIN WDB12602212073841
Model 280 SE
Chassis 12602212073841
Engine 110989 12 026641
Transmission 722300 02 271495
Order 0 2 215 00525
Approx. year 1982
Dealer Moenchen-Gladbach branch (215)
Interior cloth anthracite (051)
Paint
585 mesa red (T) (с 01.01.1982 по 1984)
Options
410 electric sliding roof (с 01.03.1965 по 29.02.1988)
420 automatic transmission, floor shift (с 01.01.1963)
514 Becker radio Europa (LW/MW/SW/USW)
Becker radio Europa LW/MW/USW (с 01.01.1963 по 30.09.1983)
856 Unknown code
940 odometer calibrated (с 01.11.1968)

Judging by that..your car is indeed a 1982.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally determined it is a 1982 280SE Euro. Well at least best guess, until I am able to contact MB.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It defintely seems to be a project car, that at this times the engine and trans seems to be very good shape.

I guess the worst case is I could part it out, as it all original, but going to see what today what it really might take to get the fuel issue and AC issue resolved and go from there.

Depending on the money invovled, I might be inclined over time to restore it, as it seems it might be worth the effort for such a rare car in the US. If I do that the first things I will look at are the mech, and get them in tip top shape, and then slowy work on the cosmetic issues, barring any rust that I might find.

Taij

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
congrats on the purchase -- you bought it about as cheap as you could expect. yes, it's a project car, but you knew that when you bought it. if you have the time/money/skills, i'm sure that restoring a car like this can be a lot of fun. so are you going to change it back to stock (like remove the aftermarket chrome trim, swap the headlights out for euros, change the wheels, etc) or are you planning to mod it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now the plan would be to restore over time to original.

The good news is the fuel issue seems to be resolved. Seems that two tubes that provided the proper air fuel mixture were disconnected. After reconnecting them, it appears not to be spewing fuel when driving. The bad news about this is it seems to have taken a power hit, seems more slugglish when just getting moving from a stop.

I am sure I will find many issues to deal with, but going to take my time with all things. Right now I just want to make sure the it runs properly before I deal with the cosmetic stuff.

On a side note, just found the caution triangle in the trunk, in German...lol....the original...looks kind of funny.

Thinking I should break out a digital cam and take pics now with all the seat covers and such removed. They are in very poor shape as is most of the interior.

Whoever owned it must have thought they were an electrician and have wires running everywhere.

I think for most things I will learn how to do it myself, though I have only had limited exp. in the past on working on cars, will be a great time to learn.

On the interstate it runs like a dream.

Taij

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
yes, definitely break out the digital camera -- it's always fun to watch a restoration in progress [:)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts