Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now debating replacing the timing chain in my '83 380SL. It has 97,000 miles on it and I don't know if the chain has been replaced before. I am going on the thought that I have the single chain and was wondering what the price differences are between replacing the single or going double. I know the pros and cons, from reading this forum, of changing the chain to double.

I live in a small town in GA (Warm Springs) and really do not want to go to Atlanta to have it done. I am disabled now and can no longer do the work myself. I have heard of a man in my area that is a quiz on Mercedes, anyone know who I may be talking about? Any insight you can give would be appreciated.

mb380

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Can't help you with the shop in GA, but by all means do the chain, and stay with the single. It's just not worth the expense of the double chain conversion.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I would go with the single and buy a genuine MB tensioner. You can't take chances. Also, I might look at the "heavy-duty" Meyle upper guides.

The problem with a conversion is that the engine has to come out, no way around it. The parts are quite expensive unless you can get them from a junkyard, and then, there is the problem of removing them (possible from a W126). It's quite a job to get to the gears you would need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts