Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300SD
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the 1986 300SDL has that the 1983 300SD doesn't? I know that the "L" means the 1986 is longer but what about the mechanics? I like my '83's simplicity so I'm wondering what the 86 has that is different.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
The 1986 uses a bigger engine with 6 cylinders and 148hp. Many people find the SDLs simple to work on, but it may not be as simple to work on as the old SDs are. It all depends on your technical know-how.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't know if it's a consideration, but in my case I purchased an SE over a SEL because I didn't have the 6" of garage space. My storage shelves were in the way in a standard 2 1/2 car garage.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
MRTIKKET - 4/28/2005 2:22 AM

I don't know if it's a consideration, but in my case I purchased an SE over a SEL because I didn't have the 6" of garage space. My storage shelves were in the way in a standard 2 1/2 car garage.
This post is funny... you just told someone not to give advice or post anything regarding mercedes because you feel that the person knows nothing about mercedes. Then in this thread, someone asks for the mechanical differences between a 300SD and a 300SDL... and you tell us a story on how you decided to purchase a SE over an SEL due to lack of garage space. I think you should listen to your own advice rather than the other member.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Snibble - 4/28/2005 3:13 AM

This post is funny... you just told someone not to give advice or post anything regarding mercedes because you feel that the person knows nothing about mercedes. Then in this thread, someone asks for the mechanical differences between a 300SD and a 300SDL... and you tell us a story on how you decided to purchase a SE over an SEL due to lack of garage space. I think you should listen to your own advice rather than the other member.
It was just an observation, as there is no real mechanical difference in the car they are speaking about.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
MRTIKKET - 4/28/2005 4:10 AM

Snibble - 4/28/2005 3:13 AM

It was just an observation, as there is no real mechanical difference in the car they are speaking about.
What about the fact that one has a 5 cylinder diesel engine w/ cast iron head and the other one has a 6 cylinder diesel engine with an aluminum head? The latter is more refined and gets better milage.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
watch out for the 6 cylinder heads..they early casting like to crack. I forget the casting #, but I'm sure Someone out there knows. Anyway, if an SDL has the early head stay away unless you want to get into a pricey repair. Last I checked new bare heads were about 18-1900.

Jonathan

·
Registered
86 420 sel,
162 Posts
2200 to be exact. this is a clean head so you will have to transfer all the parts over to the new head.

the cast # i have on the head here is 603 016 14 01
w/ a w1 after it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Their is nothing wrong with a 14 head as long as you don't overheat it. It wouldn't affect my buying decision one bit.

Afaik MB re designed the heads a few times 14, 15, 18, 22. And maybe their is a 16 in their.

All 1986-87 603's had the 14 heads however the later 350's got the updated 18's.

22 is the latest if you buy a new one thats the one you should get.

300SDL's are extremly simple cars to fix and I prefer the better fuel economy and greater power over the older engines.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Since I have a 1985 300sd and a 1986 300sdl, I think that I should be able to answer a great deal of the questions you have. First off the 300sd is slightly slower than the 300sdl, but this is after I modified the ALDA and the turbo's output. Before, the 300sdl felt like a rocket compared to the 300sd. Like they said, the 300sdl is 6 inches longer and in my honest opinion a little to long!! Makes parking and backing up slighty more difficult. The 300sdl benefits from all the second generation w126 changes, including new rocker and lower door panels,new 15 inch wheels, new headlights, new instrument cluster with bulb out indicator, low washer fluid indicator, and low oil level, none of which the 300sd has. Also the 300sdl has the power tilting and sliding sunroof. I really like the tilting feature and wish my 300sd had it. Honestly though, engine parts for the 300sd are noticeably cheaper than the same parts for the 300sdl. Here are a few examples to demonstrate this point. 300sd alternator Bosch Remanufactured $181.50
300sdl alternator Bosch Remanufactured $ $215.48. 300sd starter Bosch Remanufactured $219.30
300sdl starter $252.50. These part prices came from www.performancproducts.com, from whom I used to order my Mercedes parts from. But after finding this site and mercedsshop.com/forums, I learned about www.autohausaz.com, in Arizona, which has better prices than www.performanceproducts on virtually every part. Performance products continues to send me catologues, which I find funny because I haven't bought anything from them in like 2 years. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
No, no, no. It got faster of course!! I am talking about the 300sd. It used to be MUCH slower than the 300sdl, but now is is almost as fast. I increased the max boost pressure to 13 psi and adjusted the ALDA accordingly.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,677 Posts
JR_Rider - 4/29/2005 1:35 PM

No, no, no. It got faster of course!! I am talking about the 300sd. It used to be MUCH slower than the 300sdl, but now is is almost as fast. I increased the max boost pressure to 13 psi and adjusted the ALDA accordingly.
Hey, I have a 300SD, i was just wondering exactly do u see when u adjust the max boost? i mean what is different when you drive, what do you notice? secondly, what risks (mechanical) are there when doing this adjustment and what is ALDA? I am considering doing it to mine, but I dont want to risk damage to the engine or any mechanical parts.

Kris

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Here is a link to one of the most informative Mercedes-Benz sites on the internet. You should find everything you need to know here. http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=114337&highlight=boost+adjustment

Me personally though, I have the Garrett turbocharger in my 300sd, so the wastegate adjustment would have been WAY to much work. I just installed a Turbo XS boost controller and can adjust the boost pressure with the simple turn of a hex screw. But there is nothing to worry about with respect to damaging the engine, it was designed to handle nearly 14psi of boost pressure, but it never came that way from the factory. Usually between 7-8 psi. Just use the search button on the site, you will find out everything you want to know, and MORE!

·
Registered
1982 240d 211k miles
132 Posts
I love my SDL!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts