Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Got a chance on a fine form light blue 300D .Got a sllight problem with Oil in the lap. Doing a little exploration of the problem,opened the under dash panel, padding soaked with oil, black oil. No one location. Is there any other source of oil besides the oil sending line to the gauge??
Hank

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Oil Leak

Most likely the oil pressure line is leaking. Sometimes, it can be tightened up by pulling the cluster forward carefully and locating the oil line.

·
Registered
1983 300D
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. It worked fine, the cluster came out nicely exposing the o...

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. It worked fine, the cluster came out nicely exposing the oil pressure line attachment to the gauge. Problem, no oil. The connection was totally dry, the oil is coming from the bottom of the cluster itself and I have a feeling that the gauge itself is leaking. I crimped off the oil line at the filter housing, I thought, fired her up and took a test drive, my first. Loved the feel but didn't need the leg soaking. Oil just poured out at the location of the ignition column lock and actually came out at the base of the cluster itself along the line of it's base/dash.
Next project, pull the cluster totally and check it out. What is my best alternative economically?
Hank Fountain

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
haha you really did mean oil in the lap... does your oil prssure gauge work? on mine it go...

haha you really did mean oil in the lap... does your oil prssure gauge work? on mine it goes from all the way up to like 30% or something when i take my foot of the accelerator, is that controlled by an oil line?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You've probably gotten this figured out by now, but if not,....

Your vacuum system has oil in it. Probably from a leak in the vacuum pump. The vacuum lines have oil in them, and it has found its way to the ingnition switch. The ignition switch, in addition to having electrical connections, also has a vacuum switch. This switch opens when the key is turned off, allowing vacuum from the capacitance tank in the trunk to pass to the cut-off diaphram on the back of the injection pump.

Have a good day!

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
Hank, the car needs a fuel shut off. It's located at the back of the injection pump. This is the only point the system can suck in oil. After you change it, you should replace the two 1 inch pieces of vacuum hoses at the ignition switch. Also, with the engine running, remove the brown line from the new shut off. Now turn the key off. The engine will continue to run. The brown vacuum hose you removed will have vacuum. Take some brake clean with the red nozzle and spray it in the line. The suction will suck in the cleaner and remove the oil from the lines and switch. A 10 second blast is all that is needed. Let the engine run for a couple of minutes after you clean the lines to dry them up. Now plug the vacuum line back on the pump and it will shut down the motor. Remember the vacuum pump vents into the crankcase so don't spray too much. What does get in there will just evaporate. Hope this helps.......Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.