Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some guidance. Never owned a MB. Family friend offers to sell me 1983 300D, 127,000 miles, decent shape, runs rough, to be looked at. What is this vehicle worth and what kind of owner/driver experience can I anticipate if I purchase it?<br>Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car is a good car and will never leave you stranded if it has been well mainatined. It will go for as long as you want it to. They handle very nicely, but they are slow. It is hard to believe that an 83 only has 127,000 miles on it. Check the maintenance records to make sure. Also, there should be stickers on the inside of the door sill that tell the about the regular services. If either contradict what the odometer says, then there is a good bet that the car has been tampered with. It's not something that is uncommon. I have run across a few myself. Good luck.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are very good cars and 127,000 miles is not high mileage IF it has been taken care of. If it is running rough, you would need to have this checked out before purchase. The most important indicator of a car that you don't want is oil usage. If this is a family friend you can trust, see if they know how much oil it uses. They may not even know how much. If it uses more than a quart in 1,200 miles or so, proceed with caution. <br> <br> As for the value, it varies widely. If the car has been garaged and is in really nice cosmetic AND mechanical condition, it could bring $5,000 or more. If not it could go very low, say $1,500. This will vary depending upon where you are located. <br> <br> One of these cars in good well maintained condition with you continuing to give it proper care including frequent oil and filter changes and frequent transmission servicing can give you many, many troublefree miles, but it must be a good example to start with.<br> <br> Good luck,<br> Larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.