Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I own a beautiful 1983 240D with over 260k miles and still breaking in :) . The radio is a 'Becker' and has 'Europa' on the Casette deck. Now whenever I try to increase the volume ... it goes up to a VERY high volume. I try to lower it but that will turn off the radio. Sometimes I have to shut it off and turn the knob counter clockwise and make it click a few times then turn it back on turning the knob VERY slowly before it goes to the high volume. Sometimes that helps... sometimes it doesnt. When I apply some pressure while turning the knob, that helps, but not all the time. Its a pain and very annoying. Anyone with similar problems? I dont want to replace the radio because I enjoy the classic look and want to keep everything originally.

Tired of the bleeding ears on my way to work lol! :eek:

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Send the radio back to Becker in Saddle River. NJ. They have an exchange program and will send back to you a completely refurbished Becker replacement.

Zill.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
^^^really?

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,569 Posts
Good call, Zill! Here's the site: index

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
If I return a becker they will send me a replacement at no charge execpt for shipping? What?

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
Hahahahaha... It was never free.

The Becker Europa is quite possibly the simplest radio ever made. If you know anyone who is electronics savvy, have them clean the volume pot with some contact cleaner. That'll likely solve your problem.

There's also a good chance it won't, if the pot is shot. But there are places other than Becker who could repair JUST the volume control problem on your unit.

$210 for a remanufactured unit is extremely reasonable. If you love your car and your goal is to keep it 100% original, then I would suggest you spend the money. Otherwise, this unit is low on power, and there are aftermarket alternatives for much less money all over the place. 2.5 watts per channel in a diesel car really isnt enough to hear the radio.

But the Europa is a good unit.

Aaron-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts