Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to this forum & new to MB. I just acquired an 83 240D 177K automatic transmission (2 owner, last owner since 1991 & 91K), after the purchase I changed all fluids & filters, including the automatic transmission, the transmission was slow and not very positive before the oil change & and after it did improve some. Everything was still ok till I washed the engine. Now it will only shift when at maximum RPM, which I assume is the governor in the transmission. I was wondering if someone here has had this problem & an idea where or what to look for? I have read through the searched topics and will check all these out tonight, but I still did not see anything about the electrical connection on the trans. I can see what looks like an electrical connection passenger side towards the front & a vacuum connection on the rear. Does this problem sound like vacuum or electrical? What is the best way to check both? I know there have been vacuum leaks as some of the vacuum lines have been plugged (locks & cruise). Also what is the best way to check for all vacuum leaks? I like to do all my own work except I have never been past the filter in an automatic. Thanks in advance for help.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
You've disconnect the vacuum line to the transmission. It is a black line from the injection pump to the automatic transmission. The vacuum controls the transmission.

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response! Do you know what the electrical connection to the transmission?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
That is the connection for the kickdown. The kickdown works by means of a solenoid, if that is constantly powered, instead of only when you fully depress the accelerator pedal, that will also result in shifts at the highest point only. You can check by measuring voltage at the solenoid, should be 0 V when the kickdown switch (under the accelerator pedal) is not pressed and 12V when the switch is pressed.

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help I will check them tonight. I will learn. What is the best repair books, is there a CD or somthing for a parts break down?

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone. What I have found is the the 2 vacuum taps off the main vacuum line check valve had been broken off. I guess that I bumped them, the whole check valve looks faded and brittle, now time to replace it. Does anyone know of another place besides MB dealer to get it? NAPA, O'Riellys any major parts supplier????

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MB dealer was open & had one $32 out the door. Thanks again this is a good resource.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts