Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my childhood I always wanted a W123 Mercedes . They represented success in life (to me that was :)) . About 8 months ago , I started my search more urgently . Had a look at a nice clean 300D , but saw it needed to much work for my fancy . A friend of mine told me about this 230E that he knew of . It had 1 owner and stood for 10 years in a barn unused . I set up the deal without even seeing the car . I bought it for ZAR20000 (about USD1400/GBP1000) . I was stunned when the vehicle arrived , it was absolutely mint !!! I started by having it serviced completely. All fluids , plugs , brakes , distributor , battery etc was done . Rear shocks was replaced , all four tyres and wheel allignment done . Then I had it "rubbed and pollished" at the bodyshop .Two small rust spots was also repaired . The interior was cleaned and the aircon re-gassed . This is the result .

All books was up-to-date (serviced since Day 1 at MB Dealers) . The medical kit in the back has never been opened !! She has 275 000 km's on the clock , but you will never be able to tell . Everything is as if she left the factory yesterday . The build-quality on the W123 has and never will be repeated by any manufacturer . These cars are absolute "Tanks" in built-quality .

There still is a few small "detail-work" to be done , but I will look into it over the holiday's .

When I checked the build codes on EPC , I saw that the vehicle was build with MBTex interior , but has Leather now . After a long search , I found that the dealer swopped interiors on the showroom floor before delivery . The people that bought this car wanted the colour and spec , but not MBTex . Maybe it was the in-thing for dealers to do ?

Good investment ? I think so :cool:

IMG_9085.JPG IMG_9086.JPG IMG_9087.JPG IMG_9088.JPG IMG_9088.JPG IMG_9089.JPG IMG_9090.JPG IMG_9099.JPG IMG_9096.JPG IMG_9094.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice one Natie! Something we all dream of finding, enjoy!
I have just refitted a 230E engine to my 1982 saloon here in Wilderness after a complete rebuild so looking forward to turning the key soon.
Although these cars are well built they do need good servicing and with the history of your car all should be well. After 30+ years all things rubber will need careful attention eg engine mounts, propshaft couplings, drive belts etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Allan . Thx for the reply . You are spot-on in saying that everything needs careful attention . I replaced engine mountings , all drive belts etc . The car have a slight "clunk" sound when changeing down to 2nd gear before coming to rest at stop sign and then again on pull-away . Had the car on a lift , checked the whole propshaft , yokes and crosses , and the centre bearing , but all is well . Will have a think and check a few more things as well . I am not good with my hand unfortunately , so i need to call in help on these sort of things .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would also check the rear CV joints and boots, there are two on each shaft. The grease inside becomes hard with age and stops doing its job. Mine had a clicking noise on over-run and now with new grease it’s gone.
Also the anti roll bar links can give in which makes a clunk.
Invest some time with Youtube too, especially mercedessource.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would also check the rear CV joints and boots, there are two on each shaft. The grease inside becomes hard with age and stops doing its job. Mine had a clicking noise on over-run and now with new grease it’s gone.
Also the anti roll bar links can give in which makes a clunk.
Invest some time with Youtube too, especially mercedessource.
Wull do . Thx Allan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts