Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my 300cd and I am thirilled. This auto has 194,000 miles on it and i have all the mechananical work completed. One owner, garage kept, and in great condition. 1998 this car had lots of work done including the transmission rebuilt ( 1,915.60) complete brake system calipers etc (800.00)
Also in 1998 this car had a rebuilt engine ie short block, vacum lines, hoses,belts timing chain, replaced turbo for a used one, injection pump, push button unit, glow plugs etc etc, that bill was for l was for 6,450.00 (yikes). new winshield hmmm what else, anyway the car was maintained including the oil changed regularily and i am wondering if i made a good purchase. I paid 3500.00 for it and so far all is good, but i am leary as this is my first diesel much less benz. I have been told this car is rock solid and i hope this is true. any thoughts concerns i should have? did i make a good buy or shall i run and hide? btw AAA membership is current! thanks in advance.

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Always liked the 300CDs, but we were never offered them in the UK[:(!]. Most people wil...

Always liked the 300CDs, but we were never offered them in the UK[:(!]. Most people will agree that the W123 300D was one of the best built and most reliable Benz’s' made.
They can be prone to warping brake discs, but these are easy to change and if yours has had some work to the braking system the discs were probably changed?
Rust can be a bit of a problem on these cars. They tend to go round the rear wheel arches and water often gets in the boot either through the boot seal, the rear window seal or the back lights (cracked lenses or seal). Also the drainage holes for the bonnet get blocked with leaves etc, these are found under the battery near the hinges on either side. It’s usually a good idea to stick a long screwdriver up from under the wheel arch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.