Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,269 Posts
Ceika make a great big brake bolt on kit for both Gen1 and Gen2 and also rotor size can be chosen so it will fit your wheel diameter
Just search W126 in the search field at the top

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 4 pot Brembo radial callipers from a 996 project. Making a bracket is within my skill level.
Are there bigger rotors that will fit the w126 hub? Wheels are currently 15" but that can be changed.....................

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,960 Posts
Just putting it out there, I have 14" steelies on my 83 500 and tried to swap the front since I had a 560 parts car....no dice the 86 560 caliper rubs on 14's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just putting it out there, I have 14" steelies on my 83 500 and tried to swap the front since I had a 560 parts car....no dice the 86 560 caliper rubs on 14's.
The Gen II mod is easy for those with 15" wheels, but is it the best solution for street use, given an acceptable cost?

The Gen II, 300mm vented rotor is an improvement, but only one component in the system

Another component is the clamping force provided by the calliper. Is a 560 calliper "bigger"? - more pistons does not equal more clamping force
What are the 500/560 calliper piston sizes
What are the 500/560 pad areas?
Is the MC bore and pedal ratio the same?

If constrained by the wheel, bigger callipers on a quality 300-310mm rotor, is a simple solution, and retains the 15" wheels. Wilwood has a selection of undrilled hats, so with a bit of machine work to fit the hat to the 126 hub, one could piece together a solution. Presumably this is the approach of the big brake kit providers
Any more brake, dictates larger wheels

I have 996 Brembos and Wilwood 298 x 20.6 rotors from another project, so thinking to recycle these for now with a new Wilwood hat, then simply change the rotor and calliper mount at wheel/tire time. Calliper and hat remains the same
Or buy an off the shelf solution from someone that has already figured this out, but half the hobby is figuring it out for myself and my mates.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
As a said before the Seika Kit is a direct bolt on with many choices when ordering the Kit including 4 & 6 pot calipers
So a front pair Kit is $1k

Attachments

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,452 Posts
I did this brake upgrade to my son's '83 380SEL with parts gleaned from the local pic-a-part salvage yard. Backing plate, rotor, and caliper assembly was all that it took. He was already on 8-hole 16" rims so nothing rubbed. Kept the 380's master cylinder. The parts swapping took maybe 30 minutes, much of which was jacking up the car. Repacked the wheel bearings since we were in there.

Bleeding the brakes then took maybe another 30 minutes. I found this to be a rather simple task.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,200 Posts
Kim, what a tantalizing thing, those brakes! I wonder though is there a simple retrofit using MB 99 SL Brembos? Most of the issue would be the mounting bracket and of course getting the right and larger rotors. Did you ever do any experimenting fitting a set of produciton 4 or 6 caliper set? I think when I looked at the whole package listed above its $2,000 with rotors.

·
Registered
1984 500SEC AMG 5.4L "Das Model"
547 Posts
I did this brake upgrade to my son's '83 380SEL with parts gleaned from the local pic-a-part salvage yard. Backing plate, rotor, and caliper assembly was all that it took. He was already on 8-hole 16" rims so nothing rubbed. Kept the 380's master cylinder. The parts swapping took maybe 30 minutes, much of which was jacking up the car. Repacked the wheel bearings since we were in there.

Bleeding the brakes then took maybe another 30 minutes. I found this to be a rather simple task.
Can you post the parts needed for this DIY, I already got two sets of Gen II calipers, ATE and Bendix as well as some of the cables. Will buy new slotted rotors, do I need another backing plate?

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,960 Posts
Caliper, rotor, dust shield and caliper bracket if I remember are what's needed.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Kim, what a tantalizing thing, those brakes! I wonder though is there a simple retrofit using MB 99 SL Brembos? Most of the issue would be the mounting bracket and of course getting the right and larger rotors. Did you ever do any experimenting fitting a set of produciton 4 or 6 caliper set? I think when I looked at the whole package listed above its $2,000 with rotors.
Not my coupe but a guy i know on the east coast who fitted them to his SEC and also completed an LS1 conversion and now swapping that to an LS3 - He is very happy with the brake upgrade

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,581 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,200 Posts
Roadhouse, those look like calipers off a R129. Can you tell us more about the swap. Was the rotor off the same car. Did you mfg the bracket?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There are several cars with this style Brembo four piston caliper. The difference is the cast iron bracket that mounts the calipers. Mine are off a C class if I recall. Not sure. Mounting it required to cut the cast piece connecting the two mounting holes.
The rotor is off a W211, you can see the part number on the photo. That too needs modified by a machine shop, by opening up to center hole to allow the W126 hub fit. PITA.
And the bracket was designed and done by me.
I’ve also upgraded the brakes on my SL600. The biggest available off the shelf brakes for the R129 are the 334mm Brembos. (SilverArrow)
I managed to fit the largest Brembos of this style 345mm and used rotors off the ML.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,200 Posts
Sorry for asking for more info but here goes. I am very familiar how people upgrade the earlier SL brakes to the silver arrow type, or those that have a 98or older since I used to own a 99 and many do that upgrade. Those brakes are just fabulous. So, it looks like one has to get the rotors as you note, develop a holding bracket for a lathe, then cut the center hole to fit the W126. ok got that. Now to fitting the calipers. Of course one has to research first whether their wheels will handle the increased inner diameter to clear the new caliper and whether the offset is great enough to clear the new thickness. First, did you have to drill a new hole for the anti lock brake sensor or was it a direct fit? Then tell me about what you had to machine? Did you cut the cast iron brackets on the W126 in a way to move the caliper inwards. I guess I ask how did you center the new caliper to the new rotor. Last I see the bracket and it seems pretty straightforward in that you got a flat of aluminum or steel and drilled holes to fit the caliper and then the old holes in the original brake mount. The reason I ask all these is this certainly seems doable at a reasonable price and its something I just might try. Did you have to get a special line or did the W126 fit

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,146 Posts
Besides Ceika, what is the bigger brake solution for the rears?
A company in Germany called MoveIt makes large brakes for the W126. Unfortunately, they require an 18" rim for their large calipers.
Home - MOV'IT GmbH

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Hi Stutz,
The bracket I made, has the correct centering, and it’s thickness allows for the correct offset.
as you can see I have British Pentas, with 11mm offset, that clears the caliper by a couple millimeters, and about 1/2” to spare diameterwise.
It’s certainly some trial and error to experiment with different wheel options. Obviously larger than 16” wheels are more suited for these applications, the only limiting factor is the offset of the wheel.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts