Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace mine. Any suggestions for the best brand to go with on Ebay? I typed in 'R107 hood insulation'. They have GK and Mehle brands. Anyone used these brands on their car?

Also in preparing my under hood for the new one the top coat paint came off in spots and exposed the white primer layer. Should I touch that up with new primer and touch paint to protect the aluminum from pitting due to oxidation. Or is it Ok just to glue the new pad on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,264 Posts
Mehle and GK are both fine brands to use. Really, it's the cleaning and prep that ensure if the pad stays up and not falls off.

I would remove the hood from the car and find something to rest it on that won't dent the hood. Scrap off as much of the old glue and gunk as you can.

You don't need to replace the paint that is on the underside of the hood since it will be covered with the pad, but i'll let you decide on whether you want to tackle that or not.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 200,000 km
51 Posts
I had good results with the Meyle pad with Weldwood Landau Top contact adhesive applied by brush. I removed the hood and as has been suggested, the most time consuming part of this job is the prep. A plastic key card (credit card type) works well for the prep.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
24 Posts
I bought my hood pad off Amazon (supplied by “Oe Supplier”). Adhesive was also from Amazon (3M Super Trim adhesive 08090). Total cost shipped was $75. I didn’t remove the hood to install but can see that would be a good idea. Make sure to cover the engine before cleaning if you don’t remove the hood. Have a helper as well - it’s a 2 man job. Paint roller helps to remove air bubbles and get a nice even bond. I am very pleased with the result - don’t forget to check the hood seal which may also need replacing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my hood pad off Amazon (supplied by “Oe Supplier”). Adhesive was also from Amazon (3M Super Trim adhesive 08090). Total cost shipped was $75. I didn’t remove the hood to install but can see that would be a good idea. Make sure to cover the engine before cleaning if you don’t remove the hood. Have a helper as well - it’s a 2 man job. Paint roller helps to remove air bubbles and get a nice even bond. I am very pleased with the result - don’t forget to check the hood seal which may also need replacing.
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
'72 450SL, 107.044-12-000422
190 Posts
In terms of the installation of the new pad, I did mine without removing the hood. 3M spray adhesive on both the hood and the pad, then positioned it and pressed into place by hand. Then I stacked a bunch of moving blankets on the engine compartment and lowered the hood down onto them until the glue set. This puts a fairly even pressure on the pad. It’s held up very well for the last 2-3 years so far.

I didn’t get crazy with the cleaning either-just scraped off the loose pieces of the old pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In terms of the installation of the new pad, I did mine without removing the hood. 3M spray adhesive on both the hood and the pad, then positioned it and pressed into place by hand. Then I stacked a bunch of moving blankets on the engine compartment and lowered the hood down onto them until the glue set. This puts a fairly even pressure on the pad. It’s held up very well for the last 2-3 years so far.

I didn’t get crazy with the cleaning either-just scraped off the loose pieces of the old pad.

Thanks so much. Exactly which model number 3M spray adhesive did you use? There quite choices. ;-) See:

·
Registered
1986 560SL
24 Posts
Take the hood off, much easier. I bought the pads from Mercedes, not that expensive and worked out great.

·
Registered
'72 450SL, 107.044-12-000422
190 Posts
Thanks so much. Exactly which model number 3M spray adhesive did you use? There quite choices. ;-) See:

Honestly can’t remember but probably the 90. What I used wasn’t yellow and I probably picked the one that says hi-strength on the label (who wouldnt)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks how many cans of 08090 did you need for the job...one or two?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts