Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having an issue with starting my 380 sometimes. Every so often it takes a little to turn over, I give it some gas and when it starts it stutters a ton and idles at like >500RPM and can’t get out of 1st gear or go over 5mph if you try and drive it. Let it idle for 10mins it’ll go OK (not as responsive, shifts at lower RPM).

Seems like an exhaust issue but would it be able
To run great sometimes if it’s an exhaust issue??

·
Registered
1985 380 SL
131 Posts
You said this happens sometimes. Does it run well when it starts normally? Does this happen only on cold starts or does it also occur on hot starts?

·
Registered
1989 560SL
144 Posts
Have you checked your OVP? When it fails, the idle control stops working as well as the fuel enrichment during engine warmup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked your OVP? When it fails, the idle control stops working as well as the fuel enrichment during engine warmup.

Yup. Checked it looked fine made sure it was in good. Still happens

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You said this happens sometimes. Does it run well when it starts normally? Does this happen only on cold starts or does it also occur on hot starts?
Yes, which is why I’m so confused lol

·
Registered
1985 380 SL
131 Posts
Intermittent problems are a nightmare. 1st rule in my book is the be sure the ignition is working correctly, if it is weak the differing operating conditions in the combustion chambers can make a difference between firing properly or not. Once this is comfirmed a pressure test of the k- jet may show a problem, even though the car runs seemingly normal sometimes.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
144 Posts
When you say you checked your OVP, did you test it’s function?
I would suggest checking that the frequency valve is buzzing when the key is on but engine is not running. If it isn’t buzzing, that’s likely causing your problem which probably is the OVP.

·
Registered
1981 380SL
414 Posts
Check all relays in the passenger footwell. I had this issue, and it turned out to be the relay that delivers power to the lambda control module, ICM, and many other extremely important fuel and air regulating devices.

In your 380 there should be four silver ice cube relays behind the red OVP relay. It’s likely one or more have died or are on their way out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts