Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,<br>
I am planning to buy a 1982 300TD with about 170,000 mls on the clock. Any hints on what to look out for? <br>
Thanks,<br>
Dirk

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FIRST THING IS OBVIOUS CONDITION OVERALL. I WOULD LOOK AT THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS B/C THEY ARE EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE. THE FRONT FENDER LIPS THAT ROLL UNDER THE CAR ALWAYS RUST OUT. MAKE SURE IT IS A TURBO MOTOR......

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely have a Mercedes mechanic (independent) look at it, paying special attention to the condition of the rear suspension. Unlike the other '81-'85 300 diesels, the wagon has a self-levelling rear end that use a hydropneumatic system - which can be very expensive to fix if not working. Also, check the condition of the hatch; apparently, it is quite common for rust to start there due to failure of the window seal and/or hatch weatherstripping. Aside from that, the same issues pertaining to all '81-'85 diesels apply (i.e compression test, how does trans shift?, vacuum system in good working order?)<br>
<br>
Good luck,<br>
<br>
Joel <br>
'85 300TD

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be careful. I just bought an 82 300 sd on the spot. Sounded and ran great got it checked out a few days later and the mechanic said the engine was about shot. Couldn't beleive it. Spend the 50 bucks and check it out!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.