Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I got into my 1982 300td, put the key in, turned it, and nothing happened. I had lights, and could tell the glow plugs were going, but there was no turning over. I thought the problem was with the neutral safety switch or the starter relay, and I've been starting the car with two screwdrivers at the little junction box in front of the battery on the passenger side. I was hoping to diagnose and fix that problem this weekend. Tonight I went to turn the key, and it felt slightly different, maybe one less click, or a little less resistance. I was able to start the car, and had headlights, but the windows, brake lights, and turn signals are not functioning. Any ideas? Are these problems possibly linked, and maybe the ignition is on it's last legs? Where can I start?

·
Registered
1981 300CD, 1973 280C
448 Posts
Possibly the electrical portion of the ignition switch. If I recall you can access it with the speedo cluster removed. The lights you refer to would be inoperative if the key did not spring back to the run position upon release of the key.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts