Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300D non turbo
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a nice 1982 300CD 107K garaged. when I came across this car it had been idle for 3 years. had to replace ignition no key for it. did some maintenance changed fluids filters adjusted valves, new battery, also had to replace glow plug relay portion of housing melted strip fuse burnt and output was less than 12 volts. all back together turned key and nothing not even a whimper. starter was strong jumped it from the batter to the small screw. read up on Nuetral Safety Switch. pulled it off some pieces were broken. Replaced it and still no whimper.

Does the swtich come pre positioned in park?

Had to move the white plastic piece a little to get plug in.

when I shifter through all gears it will not stay in L it pops up to S.

any help will be greatly appreciated. Need to get this bad boy on the road!

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Sorry but it sounds like you've touched too many parts at once! Test each part individually to see that it is working and get it to a stage where you can turn the key and the starter motor cranks the engine. If it still doesn't start then you need to start looking at the fuel system. Until then I advise you not to move onto another part of the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I have never done this but I have read that the Neutral Safety Switch has a hole in it that matches up with a hole drilled in the Transmission Housing.

You go thourh your Drill bits and find the back end of a Drill Bit that has a good fit for the hole in the Neutral Safety Switch but will slide in and out.

When you install the Neutral Safety Switch you use the Drill Bit going through the hole in the Switch and also into the hole in the Transmission Housing to line it up before you tighten it.

·
Registered
1981 300D non turbo
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More Info

got it running by jumping the starter. after starting it shifts into drive and reverse just fine. just wont start in park or nuetral is it possible that the ignition i purchased is not operating properly? I put in a new NSS

help some more.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Recheck your installation of the NSS and ignition switch. Tell us more about the ignition switch replacement. Seems like you breezed through your description pretty fast.

It's also possible the shift linkage bushings are shot, and needs replacement. This will prevent the NSS from aligning to the correct gears. There are 2 accessible from below. If the shift lever moves significantly forward and backwards within one gear slot, I'd replace all 4 bushings. 2 are accessible from the cabin.

Shift linkage bushings are best done with a new NSS or modulator (but a modulator is not the problem now), to maximize use of time under the vehicle. Search the archives for a "special tool" that allows one to install the bushings into the shift linkage ends without much effort. This requires a large washer, nut and bolt to squeeze the bushing into the slot.

·
Registered
1981 300D non turbo
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nothing when turning the key

I replaced the ignition because the key that came with the car would not work couldnt get it into the number 2 position. the key opened the doors, trunk and glove compartment. with the new ignition in all bells buzzers lights come on just no juice to turn over the starter. checked all white and red fuses is there a fuse I could be missing? The shifter bushings are in great shape. I will check the NSS install again and get back.

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
so steering lock, tumbler and electrical portion. there is a remote wire lead that runs from the ign. switch to the starter, you need to check continuity on this line and make sure there is 12v present on it at the starter when you crank the key. rule out your new NSS switch by jumping the two pins on the starter circuit to it (while the car is in park of course).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts