Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S500 cooupe 1982 240D
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 1982 240d driver window stopped working I changed the switch from rear to the front and it worked fine. the next day the passenger rear window rolled down just fine. When I went to roll it up it would not roll up. Even changing the switches didn't work. What I need help with is how do I check to see if it is the motor or the switch.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Take the switches apart and clean?

·
Registered
83 240D
28 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my '83 240d, but it hasn't been enough of an inconvenience to delve into it yet. This is my first MB (recently purchased) and it's interesting how different everything is from American made autos.

My drivers side rear window is intermittent and I haven't figured out a pattern to it yet. Some days it works fine. One day after opening it about 2", it didn't go back up until the car sat for about 4 hours. Just the other day, it didn't work at all. The only switch that I've used is the console switch. I'll try to find time to troubleshoot this coming weekend & get back to this thread with the results.

I also have an intermittent with my turn signals, which seems to be related with cooler weather. I'm keeping these two items together in my mind, because they don't point to a definitive equipment failure, but possibly something to do with wiring connections. After all, it's 25 years old & everything is original.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
winmutt, you hit the problem on the head. switches are wonky!
Its common and its amazing at how much dirty gets in there. Everyone I have seen looks like a coffee/coke residue collector.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found some replacement switches original oem for $20.00 Im going to replace them and get back to you and let you know if that fixes anything. Ill do this as soon as they come in.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rather than buy new switches I too all of them out and cleaned them. all windows work now as they should:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts