Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the dashboard lights and heater control lights quit working on my 81 MB 240D. I assume this is a fuse problem. Can someone tell me where the fuse is located for the illumination..the guages and controls work fine. Just the lights wont't work. Please help asap////thanks Greg Davis[?][?]

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
loyd198 - 4/24/2005 9:13 PM

All the dashboard lights and heater control lights quit working on my 81 MB 240D. I assume this is a fuse problem. Can someone tell me where the fuse is located for the illumination..the guages and controls work fine. Just the lights wont't work. Please help asap////thanks Greg Davis[?][?]
Hi Greg,

All of the fuses on W123s are on the drivers side of the firewall right next to the brake booster. You will see a black plastic cover held on by two large black plastic head screws. Take the panel off and on the inside there should be a sheet with the listing of all the fuses by the number and their functions. One of them should be for the instrument panel lights. That's the one you're after.

If the sheet is missing (it often is), just look at the fuses and see if any are blown. Replace them (or it) and, God willing, you'll have your dash lights back.

Ike

·
Registered
500 Posts
Most likely it is not a fuse, but the dimmer rheostat in the instrument cluster (the knob on the left). This is a common problem with the W123 body. The rheostats are available new, or some people just solder the connections on the switch together to bypass the dimming function. It is easily accessed by removing the instrument and is located on the back side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts