Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 260E, 1981 240
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PINGING OR KNOCKING ENGINE SOUND DURING ACCELERATION AND UPHILL.

ANY HELP?

ERNESTO.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Nailing is the sound made by failed or damaged injectors. It sounds like a large nail being hammered into a block of oak. The good news is that diesel injectors can be rebuilt (it’s a mechanical fueling system) at a good diesel shop for a reasonable price.

A

·
0 Posts
so, a persistant pinging during just idle and low rpm's IS a bad injector or 2. how interesting. father's been saying that to me about his awful pinging on his 198k mile mint condition DT, but i always thought he was just using it as an excuse for me catching him lying about adjusting his valves already, since its a bit of work. so, the injectors are coming off the parts car, and going into his, that outta do it, i hope. i get the super shiny pressure lines though for my coupe, his are new looking already, and mine are quite hideously tarnished.

·
Registered
1987 260E, 1981 240
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tanks, I took the injectors out and apart and they were very dirty. Before I did it I check and adjust the start of delivery in the injection pump, and it was off, now the car runs very good. I am going to clean the injectors and see what happens. I found out that I have a bad manifold gasket.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ernesto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts