Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a direct trade with my RX7. Anything I need to be aware of while inspecting this car?
It's got 125K miles with a claimed clean carfax

Here is the vid

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Rust, of course.

The front subframe. There is a lot of info and photos here of the problem and the preventive reinforcement needed to make it safe. MB has an open recall on this for SOME SL's and SLC's, though they all (except for '86 and up) need it.

US 380's prior to '84 have a single row TC which (as you probably already know) is a weak point.

Other than that, no unique problems. Fun car.

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched around and these car have a front subframe just like the rear subframe of a W201 or W126; interesting. How's the handling and how's the front considering how heavy the front must be?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Well, I've never driven an SLC. But, I did own a 560SL for 5 years. I have also had a 240d, 300E and E430. While it's no slot car, the SL IS a great GT type car, with confidence inspiring handling. These are heavy vehicles, but I find the SL to convey this to the driver as a feeling of stability and solidity rather than sloth. Mine never felt like weight distribution was a problem.

The SLC was generally considered to be the better handling of the 2 cars, and has an interesting racing racing history.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,605 Posts
I searched around and these car have a front subframe just like the rear subframe of a W201 or W126; interesting. How's the handling and how's the front considering how heavy the front must be?
EGv107. Subframe recall - failure.
The Vid indicates it has been converted to dual row timing chain. Really does not sound that good running but that may be the sound on the Vid.

An approx. 3K car if there is no rust.

It also has the worst ACC installed by MB. Say Chrysler. Ask Dig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts