Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am working on a friends 1981 380 SL. She is experiencing electrical problems. i.e. Draining the battery (new) in a couple days. . There are some other issues that I addressed today, New Dist. Cap/Rotor, and replaced the Original, I think, Thermostat, . Anyway I was looking for the evil Servo and all I can see on the passenger side firewall is a Mono valve and the Aux Water pump. Mono valve is shot, don't know about the Aux. Water Pump, but I disconnected it anyway. Appears nothing to by pass on this car as the mono valve and aux heater are in plain site. With the valve shot it'll pass hot water without being by passed. Still have a couple issues to address in the A.M.
This is one of the cleanest MB's I have ever seen. 86,000 miles and looks brand new all over and especially in the engine bay. She inherited it from her Mom. Her dad and Mom bought it in Germany(Cal. Car and emissions) and drove it in Europe on Vacation, then shipped it home. Her dad bought 2 SL's His and Hers.
Her sister inherited the other one.

Just need to know if there is an evil servo on this car. I will check the alt. to see if it is OK as well.

First time working on a 107 and this car is a pleasure to work on.

Thanks in advance for the Servo answer. I'm usually on the 126 sedan forum.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply. sure is easier to get to the Mono valve in this 107 than in a 126. I love this car.....

Hurrah!!!!
Mono Valve is shot and I'll test the aux water pump as I know they can go TU And Taking On Water and fry the ACC controller. I'm betting Alternator or the reg then, for the battery drain, or the radio, or ??.

Anyone ever seen a rotor bug with the end bent 180 degrees out and upside down with a corner burnt off.How in the name of all that is Holy, did that happen, and how did she drive it home from Dad's place??? Wondering is the dist shaft Bearing is shot. will check it out tomorrow when I replace the dist cap and rotor. Cap does not show much other than electrodes are toast from arcing.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,783 Posts
I have an '81 280SL which as the same slide levers and controls as my '73. What does the control panel look like?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not looked at the acc control panel..yet, will tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts