Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280SLC
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do both of the cars above share the same engine? Manifold, Exhaust system?

Cheers
BT

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Basically, yes, except that the 280SLC has longer downpipes, due to the car itself being a good deal longer.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,884 Posts
When you say "downpipes" do you mean the part trom manifold to the bottom of the car or that relates to pipes from manifold all the way back to the end?

I found from Bosal (Merc appointed OEM) that between SL and SLC exhausts the difference is only in the length of the pipe before the muffler (to accomodate the length of the car.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Djenka018 said:
When you say "downpipes" do you mean the part trom manifold to the bottom of the car?
No, djenka, I don't mean that part, as it has NOTHING to do with the length of the car.

Djenka018 said:
I found from Bosal (Merc appointed OEM) that between SL and SLC exhausts the difference is only in the length of the pipe before the muffler (to accomodate the length of the car.
That's right. That's the one I meant.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,430 Posts
First, Bosal is about as far from OEM as you can get, and second, it is a longer center resonator that makes up the length difference for an SLC.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
MB South Africa supplies Bosal products made in South Africa as OEM part. I saw it with my eyes.
When I ordered my muffler (rear box) I was asked to confirm if it was SLC as, they said, SL has shorter pipe leading the muffler. I am to replace "resonator" and Bosal quoted same part number for SL/SLC (where a muffler assembly is different p/n)

FlyBoyIke, tnx. I was not quite sure what you meant.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,430 Posts
I dunno, I've been sellin' this stuff for a long time, and U.S. or Euro version makes no difference, all 107's (except 560SL) take the same rear muffler. The resonators are different (again U.S. or Euro) based on version and length.

I hope that Bosal "OEM" stuff is better than the crap they peddle on the aftermarket. I would place it beneath Ansa quality-wise.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
GermanStar said:
I dunno, I've been sellin' this stuff for a long time, and U.S. or Euro version makes no difference, all 107's (except 560SL) take the same rear muffler. The resonators are different (again U.S. or Euro) based on version and length.

I hope that Bosal "OEM" stuff is better than the crap they peddle on the aftermarket. I would place it beneath Ansa quality-wise.
When I mentioned SL to SLC difference in muffler ass'y that was only and only to the length of the pipe preceding muffler but mufflers them selves were identical. At least for ROTW model

Let me clear up that I relate Bosal as OEM for Merc models that came out say in 80's (in terms that 107 is a '71 model, 126 is '80) or earlier.
I seriously doubt that Bosal is OEM for Merc for later models.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,430 Posts
I understand, but in every 107 I've ever looked up or sold exhaust for, the difference in pipe length is in the center resonator (Example). I have seen some odd brands tagged used as OE by DB is South Africa before. A much lower cost brought some of that stuff into the U.S. several years back via independents. In Europe and the U.S. OE for exhaust back then was always Eberspaecher.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Dunno what to say, you've been selling this stuff and I saw what I saw.

I am due to order resonator and will see if any difference there for SL/SLC (Bosal).

·
Registered
280SLC
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info!

I sat in my friends 280 SE(W126), I presume this has a similar engine as well?. His car seems a lot quieter then my 1981 280SLC. Being a 2 door coupe, I do accept that it could be a little louder. However, my car sounds really loud when I go above 50 Mph. It gets so loud sometimes that it is pretty annoying at times.

I guess I will replace the center resonator and gaskets for the manifold and see if that helps.

Tks
BB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts