Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 CL600, 2003 SL55AMG, 1987 560SEL ECE, 1985 280SL
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to share this.

A local Norwegian has swapped in a S55 engine, trans and suspension in his 450 SLC. Can't be many of those out there!

Work done by a Polish company called RA Classic Customs.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,883 Posts
I can see a niche market developing for the SLC cars: the moderntimers

Somehow all this does not bode as well with the shorter topless version...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
1,764 Posts
Hey guys-

I just picked up a copy of Mercedes Enthusiasts December 2019 issue and this car has an extensive write up in it. Worth reading for sure.

Of note is the car uses R129 (89-2000 SL) hubs and the M120 (SL600) calipers. It uses a 209 CLK 350 fan shroud and other bits from other cars but all of it is in the write up. It uses the 722. 633 5G (assuming from the donor S55 AMG W220).

It's always great to see someone let the air out of my ballon for doing something I want to do!! :) First. My C107 uses larger rotors and hubs from a W126 560SEL in front. It is a drastic improvement on stopping!! I have wanted multi pot calipers!

So of this information can be found in Roncollo's build of course but he went to the nth degree on everything.

Fonzi- we had a conversation once discussion the differences between the spring rates for various 107s, Interestingly this car uses 280SL front springs! (Welp- I guess their value just went up;))!

·
Registered
'85 300tdt (sold),'64 220b,'63 220Sb ,85 monte carlo ss 406SBC(4 sale),1976 vega wagon(sold)
250 Posts
You know where to come looking for 280slc springs. I've got at least 3 sets. Not sure why you would use 280 over 450 but I've got them too!

·
Registered
'85 300tdt (sold),'64 220b,'63 220Sb ,85 monte carlo ss 406SBC(4 sale),1976 vega wagon(sold)
250 Posts
I'm sure you meant you used w126 calipers and rotors on your car. The hubs are way off offset wise. I have mocked up gen2 w126 brakes on an r107 subframe but had to put the w126 rotors on the r107 hubs.
I'm curious what you did for brake hoses? I wasn't happy with the contact possibility and was planning on using banjo bolts and custom hoses.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,363 Posts
Curious, what's the preference for SLCs over SLs for extreme engine modding?

Just nice to have a solid roof?
Personally, I'd use the w123 couple platform if I wanted something different.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,199 Posts
Curious, what's the preference for SLCs over SLs for extreme engine modding?

Just nice to have a solid roof?
Personally, I'd use the w123 couple platform if I wanted something different.
At least the SLC starts as a V8 in most cases. I think the SLC is a sportier vehicle than the w123 coupe even if the w123 is lighter.

The SL has heavier rockers and the shorter wheelbase doesn’t handle quite as well (I think).

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
1,764 Posts
Yeah I meant- now that my memory is refreshed (reboot) - the calipers came on the W126 hub and I had to change that to the 107 because a 126 hub will not fit on a 107 without further extensive modifications. TY

My SLC was my driver when I first bought it and lived in Las Vegas. I rarely drove the car however as there were other modes of transportation. BUT I WOULD SAY the noticeable difference between driving the coupe over the convertible is chassis stiffness. For me it is noticeable. The SL tends to linger a bit more in all aspects of handling and I'm comparing that to a C107 on OEM 14 inch Bundt's to several r107s on OEM 15s. Add to that the c107 stiffens up significantly with any modification like the stiffer Bilstein shocks as it does with stiffer wheel set up.

Additionally it has a longer wheel base which I prefer for several reasons. A shorter wheel base does allow for quicker steering responses but a longer one handles better overall outside of the steering response. I think the chassis design is better at handling more power.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So you used the two piston calipers or 4?

As far as handling, I've never driven a r107 hard like my SLC. Plus it would be apple pie to hard candy comparison with all the suspension mods. I have thought about building a r107 as my drift car for quicker direction changes but I'm not a convertible guy really. I be thought about grafting an SLC roof onto a r107. I really just wish the SLC was about 6-8 inches shorter. I've done photo shop and it makes the car so much better looking. 14" of extension is just too much and there is a little bit of awkwardness about the car from some angles. If the rear rollup window is shortened to just be a triangle with no top the car is perfect. But I'll probably build my 114 coupe that's way lighter and a bit shorter before that happens. They look good done right too.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,648 Posts
That SLC is proper sexy.

I love the SLC, its so MB quirky. Always loved them, annoying to see them expensive now, I should've picked one up when they were in their trough value here. (For years.)

·
Registered
250 Posts
So few were loved and cared for properly they will be through the roof for an excellent one. I've got a slew of them and they are all garbage. They rust like crazy too so even a nice looking one may be garbage.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,648 Posts
Yep imagine the rust over here. I've seen some pretty mental things, big holes in the roof and all sorts. Such cool cars though.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,199 Posts
SLC are mostly unloved in the USA IMO. Before I began my obsession with MB107, I saw an SLC and realized the top was not removable. I thought, “who in their right mind would buy this hardtop only version when they have a version with a removable hard top?”. I had no idea the SLC was longer and had a back seat that can seat up to 3, while no US versions of the r107 have any more than the two front seats.

As I learned more about the SLC, owning an r107 and installing a rear jump seat for the kids, I learned how great they look with small euro bumpers, and how hideous they are with big US bumpers. Then my wife became pregnant with our third child, and I started searching for a 5-seat sporty convertible.

Then I bought my second MB, the 1978 450slc 5.0 custom convertible. Then the serious addiction began with a stick shift 280slc.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
1,764 Posts
I love this car from the OP. I love the it addresses so many things in it's build. Of course those who know me know that I would have preferred the supercharged version and about 100 more bhp.
I also love the modded car of rwd4evr and will be looking for write ups on the "suspension mods".

For me- I fell in love with this version of the 107 from the moment I saw it. I never really liked the vert. I'd never seen the coupe. But I am a coupe person. I leased new an '09 CLK55 coupe and saw as more a man's car as opposed to the vert. version. I drove both and loved the coupe. I love the coupe XKE. I love the DB5. I just prefer coupes.

As far as "cared for": at the time I had a friend from high school whom I hadn't seen since high school drive over to the car in North Carolina I had no idea the gem I'd found. I'm lucky. My car is mostly still in the condition it was ordered in by the previous owner- a WWII B17 pilot who flew for United out of JFK. ( I still have the old United JFK logo on the passenger window). I have every service record for the car AND (until moving to the great white north) have only had to perform routine maintenance on the car. I upgraded the brakes when mine blew a rear caliper. I put on the new euro style exhaust when something in the road damaged the US version that was on it. I replaced the shocks with Bilstein Sport versions when a pot hole in Las Vegas killed one.

I think this car is like many- much more beautiful in person! Sure it doesn't have a good profile from some angles in a picture but neither does a beautiful woman! It's a classic and I love it! Every time I open the door to my garage and see it I think, "Beautiful"!

Americans, as a rule, are not very good at taking care of their cars. It doesn't matter the make or model. So I feel even more fortunate having found one that was ordered by the previous owner and has been continuously loved and cared for. I hope we all find one like it!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most of its here. 1978 450SLC Super beater/lemons race car - PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

Custom bushings, w126 shocks, cut springs with blocks to stiffen more. Lots of steering mods for more angle and less Ackerman. Custom 2.25 dual exhaust with a hand built stainless muffler. Hydraulic hand brake with dual rear calipers. Dual rear sway bars.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,862 Posts
I'm working on the R107 version now. I think it will be a nice quiet easy to maintain configuration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts