Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500, 1979 300SD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting my 300td to WVO and just want to clarify on which line is the return fuel line to the tank and which is the feed line to the engine. I believe that the cigar looking line that goes from the top of the stock fuel filter (banjo fitting) is the return. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Top is in fact return, but PLEASE PLEASE use bio or at least change your oil every 3k on the dot or ever 3months as the veg oil gets in the motor oil through the injection pump and WILL cut the engine life in half.

I am tired of doing the back and forth with people that are trying to not use petroleum or just want to save money.

I get it and I am all for it, but if you care about the car and dont want it in a land fill to make room for a huge drain like the prius then mix diesel half and half then cut oil change times or use bio and cut oil change times. I have the photos and i have the proof of all the motor with rod knock and blown pistons from the veg. I have a huge customer base and more of them are in the bay area CA where green is gold. These people ruin cars tryings to do something good, but too little info and someone trying to make a quick buck with a simple conversion scheme is the kiss of death.

"My car is so much more quiet on veg though". Yes because you are not burning all the fuel and its not going boom the way it should. "I changed all my fuel lines to support the veg". Thats fine, but what about the internal seals of the ip and engine? "Im not supporting the oil companies". You need car tires dont you? What about the road you drive on whats that made of? The parts to keep it running? If you want to say F you to the oil companies then you cannot use roads, rubber or plastic.....ect

Zero emissions use a bicycle as there are no throw away batteries like in the hybrids.

Also DO NOT use line heaters unless you are heating the oil BEFORE it goes into the injection pump as you will also wear/ruin that.

One last thing too dont use the coolant as a heat source use electric elements or you will be making more future problems.

Hope this helps and sorry for the rant, but i have actually cried over some of the 130k single owner cars i have seen that were bought just for veg conversion and then a year or two later had rod knock, paint bubbles around the fill neck and liquid rubber where the fill neck is for the diesel as there is a reason they stopped doing this stuff in europe around the 1960s ;)

·
Registered
2003 E500, 1979 300SD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU for the advice and input. I have no problem mixing it from time to time and will most likely use mostly diesel in the winter. I a free source of WVO so its a no brainer for me. If the engine dies...oh well. I got the car for free several years ago and this is just a fun thing for me to dig into. I've heard the pro's and con's. I purchased an entire kit from mercedessource which has a heating element to heat the oil to 150* prior to it entering the engine. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
THANK YOU for the advice and input. I have no problem mixing it from time to time and will most likely use mostly diesel in the winter. I a free source of WVO so its a no brainer for me. If the engine dies...oh well. I got the car for free several years ago and this is just a fun thing for me to dig into. I've heard the pro's and con's. I purchased an entire kit from mercedessource which has a heating element to heat the oil to 150* prior to it entering the engine. Thanks again for the info.
That sums it up.

People also use Bag Filters to filter the stuff bafore it gets into the Tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts