Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 300sd won't start. the motor cranks but won't start. The glow plug light inside the car never turns on. I tried jump starting it, but the light never came on. Do I need to leave the cables on for a long time to charge the system enough to where the plugs turn on, or is there enough power since the motor cranks?

thanks,
mason

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
if the motor is cranking then the battery is working. i would use the hand primer to put fuel in the system. if it workes after hand primig then ur problem is ur not getign fuel and that can be many things.

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the problem has to do with the glow plugs, since the light never comes on

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
The glow plug relay may be bad, Tho it should still start even with out them, granted their will be a big clowed of white smoke, but should still start. Check to see if your getting fuel. Somone here should be able to point out a safe way of seeing if your getting fuel without hurting yourself. If your not getting fuel, check your fuel pump relay.

Tho as I've said in the past. C.I.A.F.

C: Check Compression
I: Check Ignition ( part of compression in diesel )
A: Check Air, See if your air intake is clogged
F: Lastly Check Fuel, See if your getting fuel

Good Luck!

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
nckmsn - 5/10/2005 8:16 AM

My 300sd won't start. the motor cranks but won't start. The glow plug light inside the car never turns on. I tried jump starting it, but the light never came on. Do I need to leave the cables on for a long time to charge the system enough to where the plugs turn on, or is there enough power since the motor cranks?

thanks,
mason
Did you check the fuse for the glow plugs? On mine if it's not working right the glow plug indicatort will at least flash. Always worth a check- roll it around a bit even if it looks fine.

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It starts up now. I went through all of the connections, and one must have been loose. I think it was the fuse.

thanks all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts