Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there,

Recently I've been thinking of putting some kind of high flow muffler on my 300sd to add a little power. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind?

Also any other boost-tips would be appreciated.

(sorry for asking such n00b questions " hEy cAn You mKAE My cAr Go fAst?? ") [:p]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Hey stighelmer, i got a an 82 300 d turbo, and i just cut out both the resonator and muffler and put a straight pip in place of them. U wont get much more noticable power but there will be less backpressure to the turbo. And honestly it isnt that loud. I think the sd's exhaust is a little bit differnt but we got the same engine, so basically, if your aiming for higher flow, just cout out the muffler and weld a pipe in the place. It will not be that loud do to the resonator still in place but u will have better flow. If you want it louder just make the whole exhaust a straight pipe and eliminate the muffler and resonator. But honestly, the muffler and resonators on these diesels are straight through with baffles along the side so there isnt much restriction. As far as boost you could adjust the spring in the wastegate to be tighter, that way you would be getting more boost. Also you could adjust the ALDA on the injection pump, a few turns counter clockwise. Well hope all goes well.

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
stighelmer - 4/16/2005 2:09 PM

hey there,

Recently I've been thinking of putting some kind of high flow muffler on my 300sd to add a little power. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind?

Also any other boost-tips would be appreciated.

(sorry for asking such n00b questions " hEy cAn You mKAE My cAr Go fAst?? ") [:p]
As the owner of an '80 300sd I'd say don't bother. There is no way you can get these cars to go fast w/o jepordizing the engine. They are designed for long life and somewhat slower cruising. Enjoy it for what it is- a sweet ride that won't kill you at the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts