Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I usually lurk and post over on the w123 and w203 forums, as those are the vehicles currently occupying my driveway. Wandered over here after seeing a 280 SLC for sale in the local grocery store parking lot.

Actually met the owner, an older gentlemen who's owned it since 2000ish. Said he had all the paperwork, extra set of wheels (painted hubcaps), FSH, etc. Car needs paint, it's the gold/champaign color w/ typical old car clear coat problems. Also has rust, along the rear window seal which probably leaks, and in various other places, but nothing horrible looking but to do a proper paint job would require work on every panel. A good 20 footer. 215K on the odo. Not sure if it actually works. Didn't hear the car run, etc. We just talked and looked at the thing.

Engine bay wasn't clean or anything, but it did appear to be well-maintained, cared for, etc. Could verify with records which the seller has.

Interior was chocolate colored leather. Probably original sheepskin covers on the front seats. I didn't take them off to see the condition, but slipped a hand underneath and didn't feel any cracks on the sidebolsters, etc.

He's not asking for a price, just "best offer". He basically said that he's too old to care for it or spend money on paint etc.

I'm not in a great position to buy a car like this, but understand that it could be "neat" and am intrigued...I had a price in mind, very low price in mind, but when I checked NADA classic used car guide it came back with $12,500 to $20,000. I know that NADA is not the end all price guide. Saw a "rust free" example on ebay currently bid to $6K. That car looks a lot nicer. Just trying to get an idea of what I could get this car for, if it's worth bothering with, and if paint and rust repair would be a worthwhile investment.

IMO this car will never be a $12,000 car, but with a nice paint job could it be a worthy investment? How much should I offer the guy? What else to look for...if I got really serious I'd take it in for a PPI, etc.

Car is in San Diego, CA.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
3,525 Posts
If there's rust, I'd offer no more than $1500-$2000...it's the rust you can't see that's a problem.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there's rust, I'd offer no more than $1500-$2000...it's the rust you can't see that's a problem.
I was actually thinking $1000, but don't think the seller would go for it. He seems to think its a car that could get fixed up and become a collector's car - which I guess it could be if it had 150K less miles...

Any other advice is appreciated, or if someone wants his contact info, pm me.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s ALL SOLD
32,777 Posts
He is probably unaware of the current market. My 88 year old uncle still will not consider anything under 15K for his '84 280SL with 74,000 on the clock.

And I have not even looked at the subframe on his.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So will an r107/c107 with 200K plus miles ever be worth more than $5000-$6000 assuming paint and rust repair was done professionally?

Or is this a sub $2000 drive it til it dies type of car?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
13,479 Posts
So will an r107/c107 with 200K plus miles ever be worth more than $5000-$6000 assuming paint and rust repair was done professionally?

Or is this a sub $2000 drive it til it dies type of car?
That car is not worth much - High mileage and rust. Not a convertible. Sheepskins usually mean leather seat covers need replacing.

If engine runs reasonably well, I would offer him $1500. Then be prepared for $3 minimum on rust repair/paint. $1000 for seat covers. Misc other mechanical repairs/maintenance $2000. You would have $7500 invested and have a reasonable driver - not a show car. The 6 cyl engine is a plus - more economical for a daily driver.

By the way - I don't think any cars can be considered an "investment". Better to stash your money under your mattress :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
34,406 Posts
NADA is a total waste of time....unless your insurance company uses it to pay you out.

The car will never be an investment unless you get it for free and flip it.

Any rust you see multiply by a factor of 10 for what you don't see.

Other than that....good luck!

Sounds like $2000 car with a $2000 float for immediate fixing up to half decent standards.

Cool car for $4000.

·
Premium Member
2021 GLC300 and 1987 560SL
3,617 Posts
Hi i have a 1980 280 slc in very good condition privately imported to the us from germany, 135k miles, clean title in california. i want to sell it but im not sure about the price, please help!
Pictures. We need pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Basically, the price on these cars is dependent far more on their condition than anything else. Rust, interior, exterior, rust, engine, and rust. Did I mention rust?

Are there maintenance records?

And does it have a manual or automatic transmission? Unlike most vehicles, a manual transmission 107 is more valuable than an automatic.

It's equally possible for that car to be worth $1000 or $7500. We just can't tell without a lot more information. And pictures.

·
Registered
1980 280 slc
3 Posts
Ohhhh i see, thanks for that man, well, the car runs smooth, automatic, 6 cylinders, interior is complete but a bit dirty, no rust at all, very str8 body, tags up to date, clean title, clean oil, no problems. Here some pics, paint is faded. :grin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 GLC300 and 1987 560SL
3,617 Posts
Hm. A 280SLC is, by definition, Euro-spec. They weren't imported officially into the US at all. Yours looks like they kept the Euro bumpers (yay!) and lost the Euro headlights (boo!) when it was federalized and Californicated. Runs and drives well, straight body, no rust, complete interior are all good points. Faded paint...meh, that's not that big a deal for someone looking for a driver, but if they're looking for a show car, they'll probably pass.

Does it have air conditioning, and does it work? Is it the automatic climate control variety (buttons and a temperature dial), or is it controlled manually? Power windows or crank? (All US versions had power windows.) I see it had no passenger side outside mirror; those were optional on non-US 107s for quite a while. Is it leather, cloth, or MB-Tex? (For the aficionado, the latter may well be the most desirable, as it feels like leather and wears like iron.) What other equipment does it have? There are lots of options that weren't optional, or weren't available, on US-market cars.

Very ballpark guess at this point, from what you've told us and the one picture, is about $3K. That can go either way. The 280SLC is quite rare in the US, but not all that sought after, especially with an automatic transmission.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s ALL SOLD
32,777 Posts
Good assessment Jay. Maintenance records are really a plus. Kind of hard to estimate from one picture.
You might want to start your own thread. I saw this one was from 7 years ago and almost stopped reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
same car?

1980 Mercedes Benz 280 SLC

Hi all first post here, but from 2010 to this past Wednesday my daily driver was a w202 (2000 c280 sport) if that helps. I am interested in buying the 280 slc in the above ad as a daily driver. I drove the car today. First off was wondering if anyone else believes it to be the same car that was in California of April of this year? Also any tips on what I should look for next visit and test drive? It started right up however obviously a whole different kind of ride than m w202... any opinions at all on what this would be like as a DD would be greatly appreciated, first time buying a car on my own and could use some help. What should I expect to put into this car right off the bat as far as repairs and preventative maintenance go? Open to the idea of abandoning this prospect but I really want my dd to be rear wheel drive or a manual, preferably both but don't think I can get that lucky. Thanks for any help at all :smile

·
Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro 300sel5spd R+C107galore
24,862 Posts
1980 Mercedes Benz 280 SLC

Hi all first post here, but from 2010 to this past Wednesday my daily driver was a w202 (2000 c280 sport) if that helps. I am interested in buying the 280 slc in the above ad as a daily driver. I drove the car today. First off was wondering if anyone else believes it to be the same car that was in California of April of this year? Also any tips on what I should look for next visit and test drive? It started right up however obviously a whole different kind of ride than m w202... any opinions at all on what this would be like as a DD would be greatly appreciated, first time buying a car on my own and could use some help. What should I expect to put into this car right off the bat as far as repairs and preventative maintenance go? Open to the idea of abandoning this prospect but I really want my dd to be rear wheel drive or a manual, preferably both but don't think I can get that lucky. Thanks for any help at all :smile

I had a 280slc stick shift. It was a total blast to drive. That price is nice any low, and if it really is a good driving car, I'm not sure how you could go wrong. Even if you just drive it until it falls apart, you win.

Things to look for:
- rust: behind front wheels, in front of rear wheels, in trunk spare tire well, in all floors, in rockers.
- if you can get under the car, check for subframe control arm mount cracks.
- oil pressure and vacuum gauge (if it has one) while the car is running.
- fluid levels and colors
- maintenance records.

This car should have its valves adjusted every 10,000 miles.

·
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro 300sel5spd R+C107galore
24,862 Posts
Thanks for the reply Fonzi! What was your experience finding parts for these grey market cars? Did yours have a single driver side mirror as well?

Yes. Mine only had the driver side mirror. I bought a spare passenger door with plans of installing a passenger mirror, but the car got hit and and sold it before adding the mirror.

As with any gray market Mercedes, the EPC (electronic parts catalog) is a must. The EPC is what the MB dealers use to find the parts and part numbers for any model. It is a Java application that can run on a windows PC (not a mac/apple). I use the EPC to find part numbers and then google or search one of the many online dealers for the parts. As long as you are ok with this (and not just going to Autozone and asking for parts for your 280slc) you will be fine.

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,446 Posts
Stick your hand up in the wheel well. Only the 560 and the Euro 500 have inner
fender panels. It's a perfect trap, mine were packed with crap and rusted through. Fortunately it didn't drain down and rust out the bottom. We sanded to bare metal to see how much needed to be cut out and replaced. When it's fixed be sure and add the inner panels, you can get them from Benz.

Attachments

·
24,862 Posts
Stick your hand up in the wheel well. Only the 560 and the Euro 500 have inner

fender panels. It's a perfect trap, mine were packed with crap and rusted through. Fortunately it didn't drain down and rust out the bottom. We sanded to bare metal to see how much needed to be cut out and replaced. When it's fixed be sure and add the inner panels, you can get them from Benz.
@107merc
I have purchased a set of those for each of my 107s. I see you removed your fenders. Does the installation. Require removing the fenders?

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
652 Posts
As with any gray market Mercedes, the EPC (electronic parts catalog) is a must. The EPC is what the MB dealers use to find the parts and part numbers for any model. It is a Java application that can run on a windows PC (not a mac/apple). I use the EPC to find part numbers and then google or search one of the many online dealers for the parts. As long as you are ok with this (and not just going to Autozone and asking for parts for your 280slc) you will be fine.
I use a mac and thus can't use the EPC, but I've recently stumbled across this site:

Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)

How does it stack up against the EPC?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.