Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Looking for the right one still
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my posting here as well as the W126 forum is inappropriate I apologize.
Thought I'd find a W116 person with knowledge of the W126.
Looking to buy 2 whole cars, Wrecked 1979 W116 300SD with 80k miles, take motor and trans and put into a 1985 W126 500SEL with bad motor. Both auto trans. Is it as simple a swap as I might imagine for an experienced mechanic?
Looking to get into a Diesel Mercedes for cheap :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
W116 300SD OM617 turbo into a W123 240D

What about another possible option, using the 79 W116 OM617 turbo engine in a 81 W123 240D car. This seems perhaps a bit less work.

·
Registered
1982 300sd turbo
267 Posts
i think it would be a bad idea only because those diesel frames where different and had alot more beef to em for the weight of the motor, i might be wrong but sounds like a bad idea to me. with the 240d, it might but will take alot of mech work and they don't come cheap if they are good

·
Registered
1997 E300 Diesel
135 Posts
This response doesn't speak to your mechanical question, but something to consider would be getting the gas car titled as a diesel.
Here in CO, it is a BIG hassle. And I could not get plates for the car without an emissions test, which would fail by catalyzed gas standards. The diesel test wouldn't work since the car was originally gas. Kind of a catch-22.
I don't know if you would have this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the title would say gas. As far as I know only St Louis has any kind of emissions test and otherwise nobody would care what motor was in a car as long as it has a good exhaust system.
Sadly for right now I'm in a financial slump and have not acquired any of the cars mentioned. So the diesel project car is on hold.:crybaby2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts