Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 300GD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete mechanical restoration including both axles, front and rear brakes, major engine overhaul, shocks, lockers, radiator and gas tank, brake and fuel lines replaced.

Complete cosmetic restoration with all new OE panels (rear tub, floor, inner and outer rockers, all braces, fenders, tail section), all new gaskets, reassembled with SS hardware, Painted DB 172, color matched rhino coat interior, refurbished all gauges.

Better than when it rolled off the factory floor.

$29,750 [email protected] for more details and pictures

·
Registered
1979 300GD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
300GD Cabriolet

Good eye Harald (although I was hoping you would have noticed the snow reflection in the hand rubbed paint).

I assume you are speaking of the missing plastic rocker trim pieces. During the rebuild process I wanted to take every measure to ensure that troublesome rust areas did not reappear. From my experience, the rocker panels are notorious for rusting behind the trim so when I received my factory new inner and outer rocker panels I had the shop weld up the trim mounting holes prior to installation. In addition the rocker panels were dipped and epoxy primered before assembly (they will not rust anytime soon).

There are several other factory items I did not reinstall. This was mainly due to personal preference (since it is my G and my money). But I did make sure that everything could be put back to factory spec if needed. For instance when I color matched the rhino coat on the interior of the G I did not reinstall the carpet or side interior trim pieces. But again these items can easily be put back in place. Also I had a custom tailgate made out of diamond plate to tie with some of the interior pieces I had made - but I did retain the old tailgate just in case.

I have spent countless hours and dollars to bring this 460 back to better than new (in my opinion) and I am happy to share hundreds of pictures of the restoration process with anyone who is truly interested. Unfortunately all my photos are very high resolution so I am technically challenged with reducing their size. I did however put a couple dozen pictures in the album section of the pointed3 website.

Let me know if you see anything else that needs a response.

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
You have any parts left over?

·
Registered
2013 G550, 2013 Cayanne, 2006 C4S and a really nice 1983 Renault R5
28 Posts
Pix?

Have any interior pix? Would like to see, thanks ...

----------------------------------------------

Sandee | NJ
08 G500 (mine)
08 SL550 (his)
08 E350 4matic (ours)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts