Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
9,998 Posts
The flag does appear to automatically change based on IP location.
I checked into this. This is what I was told:

You are correct - By default, BW uses the IP.

However, they say that if you enter your home location (in your profile) in a form that BW recognizes, then a National flag for that location will be displayed. I had something like Ont./Canada and it didn't recognize that. But Kingston, ON , Canada did. A box pops up with suggestions when you enter your location.

Under Security settings, you can turn off items in your profile, such as your location. That way others won't know you have left the country ;)

Still puzzles me why miko's flag is the US one (because he is visiting) when he has entered Galway Ireland in his profile.

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
104 Posts
I will have to check that when we arrive in US in January. Maybe it is something BW should correct. It is misleading.
Yes, it changes automatically. I registered with this group using my USA address early this year. I was in Italy from May until November. I had an Italian flag until I started posting from Alabama again after November 20. Voila, Stars and Stripes.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Back in Ireland - let's see which flag shows up, I expect the tri-color flying high :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Well it obviously is linked to the IP. However, BW told me that if we enter our home location in our profile, only that flag will display. But it seems like you do have Galway, Ireland in your profile and your location did change when you were in USA.
If you change your location while on-line, it does change the flag. I entered Miami, Barcelona, Durban, Galway and the flag did change each time. Maybe those profile entries don't "stick" and it reverts to IP? Seems to me it should only display your home city, country. That is what makes it useful and more secure.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Fully agree Graham, and I see you relocated to South Africa :D heh, let's see if the flag will revert to Canada at some point. It's a useful feature but one I can get by without easily, as most of the time it's the same vital few members that are contributing the most to topics and discussions :)

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
I just relocated back to Canada ::( It's snowing here, so I had entered a warmer place! (And they did win the Rugby World Cup!)

I use the location, sometimes before posting when someone is looking for a source for parts or a shop. I think it should show the country that you put in your profile, not base it on IP. I had no idea (until you told me) that you could hover over the flag and it would display your home town. That is useful. On the old forum, it just displayed that info in text. Maybe this works better on phones?
No big deal - just another quirk of the new platform, I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
I used my VPN to switch my IP to one in UK as well as one in France. Interestingly, BW still shows my Canadian Flag!

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,147 Posts
I just relocated back to Canada ::( It's snowing here, so I had entered a warmer place! (And they did win the Rugby World Cup!)

AAAAARGH- please don't mention the world cup Graham. They fired our best player and totally ruined our chances.:mad:
Graeme

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
I was surprised that SA came back from being a pretty poor team 4 or more years ago. If England hadn't surprisingly beaten NZ, it would have been an interesting final! Anyway, that's all over for a while. SA needs all the good news they can get. Now your cricketers have to deal with NZ. With your bad boys back, you should do well.

PS: Many here probably don't know what we are talking about :)

61 - 70 of 70 Posts