So far so good. I completed what I set out to do today - cleaned, sanded and degreased all trim pieces. I counted 5 different shades, depending on the material and level of exposure to sun. 😑 At any rate come Monday all should be back to uniform color, just need to cover up the interior. 👍
Moving on, something at work came up so unfortunately I didn’t get to complete everything I wanted to today – that said, I made some progress and I’ll let you decide for yourselves as I’m obviously biased, yet I like what I see coming out of those small volico spray cans!
The top of the window trim had some damage (cracks, tears) due to, I assume, pins from the hard top being misaligned – those were filled with liquid leather and I’ll get to dyeing them tomorrow.
The only trim I dyed today was the speaker covers – a big nuisance was to cover the material as I wanted to leave it as is, so cut a LOT of tiny 26 x 4mm labels as there are 12 rows by 3 columns in each speaker cover.
The rest was easy: prime followed by 2x very, very light misty coats and finish off with top coat - job done! It’s not that obvious to tell apart old vs new so I’m a happy camper and I look forward to finishing the other trim pieces tomorrow.
Speaker cover vs handbrake cover - different plastics but color wise it’s a pretty good match!
Well, this is - the dashboard is now fully refreshed and ready for assembly at some point between Christmas / end of January. As such everything went well, no nasty surprises - as with everything else preparation is key to success, and just take your time covering everything that you don't want painted as they spray gets everywhere. I've no idea how this could be pulled off with the dashboard in situ, I think one would need a PhD in using masking tape Some pics below which I think show a good contrast between old and new - yes, the dashboard actually looks like new in the flesh!
I picked up the veneer from my trusted carpenter - as mentioned earlier, this was just a minor refresh i.e. sanding down the old lacquer followed by 6 coats of piano lacquer, with a reduction in between coats. Overall it does look great, however I’m considering giving it a once over with 3k followed by 5k & 7k wet sand, buff and finally polish for that glass OEM look. It’s one of those “take your time” jobs so might be a nice break between Christmas and New Year pleasantries
Miko - it looks great. Fine job on the interior. The fabric inside your speaker covers can be replaced. I used a heat gun on low power to remove the vinyl covering (low heat - work very slowly). The speaker covers are sized and shaped slightly different so keep organized if you try this. I practiced on a set of salvaged ones.
I inherited this car from my father and it has been sitting in a garage for the last few years and driven only a few times and the car looks and drives really nice and has 110,000 miles. The only issues I can see with it are that the A/C does not seem to work and it looks like there is some rust...
I saw that there is a 58K mile 75 450SL no reserve there. So I set up a business trip and went over there yesterday. Cars at Mecum can be had for low dollars sometimes.
Here is the 75:
Well, I'll just call it a pig...
I’m starting a thread for this topic even though I mentioned it in the main thread for the car. The car is a 350slc 4-speed that is I fortunately rotted, likely beyond sensible repair. But I really want to make the car run and drive to at least test the components: relatively rare 3.5, 4-speed...
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!