Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Got both front brakes now in this POS.

No horn.

No side markers in the US headlights, but otherwise, this thing could probably pass inspection. Time to consider next steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I spaced out in the dark and in a rush and left this hanging from bleeding the brake line/caliper. Thankfully it was right where I left it.

I decided that I need to consult my DMV on how much they will charge me in taxes to register this car. They let me get away with paying the sale price on euro cars that don’t have a US counterpart, like the 1985 280se I paid $400 for. I got out of DMV with antique registration and a title in my name for about $75 and I will never have to pay for registration on it again because I got it registered as an antique. I think my DMV normally charges 6% on NADA, which might be over $10,000 for a 1979 450sl. That’s $600. Plus the title fee, plus the fees for getting a clean title in the seller’s name (
Problems:
  • no window switches
  • no horn
  • stumbles a bit on acceleration

Timing on harmonic balancer is about 5 BTDC at idle.
I saw it advance to 40 when reviving.
Timing light flashes well on every lead.

Spark plugs and fuel system cleaning (“Italian Tune-Up” more possible now with brakes) maybe testing other timing settings are all I’ve got left to try regarding the stumble.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Here’s a list of current issues:
  • horn
  • windows switches
  • cluster lights
  • fix stumble
  • figure out whether to title or not
  • change oil and get all fresh fluids
  • check / change spark plugs
  • fix or replace the fuel sender
  • driver seat
  • carpets
  • paint hood properly
  • lens for driver fog light
  • front side markers in headlights
  • key does seem to turn the driver door or trunk
  • no spare key
  • dent in hard top, scratches and rust all over the car

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There’s more that I currently need to edit into that list above, like the blower motor, radio not working. Since I’m not sure of the fate of this one, perhaps I should just stop, but oh... I discovered the tie rods are probably bad too. And the driver door is hard to close.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,590 Posts
Same here, fair play to you Mike - I can hardly keep up with the updates, fair play to you for taking the time to document the journey. Most importantly, fair play for knocking down every obstacle in your way, you ought to consider changing your nickname to "Bulldozer" or "Terminator" :cool:

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
30,167 Posts
Now that it is driveable....you can drive it straight to the auto wreckers. Save a towing charge.

OK....I'm kidding. I actually admire your dog with a bone attitude.

But man.....you have a lot of bones.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Now that it is driveable....you can drive it straight to the auto wreckers. Save a towing charge.

OK....I'm kidding. I actually admire your dog with a bone attitude.

But man.....you have a lot of bones.
Yes, but the buts get more meat on them the more time I spend with them. Current main mission is to scrap anything that won’t run, and make anything else run. I no longer want to own cars that don’t drive.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Had a minute, and ran outside and set the timing back to about TDC at idle and didn’t notice any difference when pulling the one vacuum line. So I have the timing now set more like a US spec car. I’m not feeling more power, and even after adjusting the trans linkage linkage a bit, it’s hard to get it above 2500 rpm. I did finally get it locked into first and gave it some rev runs between stop signs. Not feeling like it’s running even as well as the best running US 4.5 cars I’ve driven yet. But so many drivability issues prevent me from even wanting to take this car on the highway:
  • tie rod clearly bad, just based on the noises I hear.
  • shifter bushing(s) needed desperately.
  • tires dry rotted
  • anti-squat rear end bushings shot

And with those issues, I think I’m feeling like it may be time to call it quits on this one for a while, and maybe focus on cars that I can get registered and legal.

Oh. Although the idle is really smooth now, I did still get one pop after shutting the key off. The car was warm. Maybe carbon is being burnt off the valves and the dieseling is getting better (less of it).

Ready to take it to the farm and say “fugget about it” for a while.

·
30,167 Posts
Come on. You're on third base and Casey's at bat.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Come on. You're on third base and Casey's at bat.
Jason @rwd4evr hates when I do this too.

It is tempting to give it the “push” to go all the way with this one with a bit of egging on. It’s an automatic though. :(

I was just looking at some of the other easy projects that I’ve got at the farm plus some of the other cars where I’m mooching space from others:

Mooching space: (5?)
  • 1967 250se 4-speed w108 inside Jason’s shop need to go into my garage.
  • 1969 280se Parked at an ex-in-law’s shop, totally mooching that needs to be parted out. This will make a good donor in my driveway (covered) while working on the above car.
  • 1992 300te wagon in same mooched lot that needs front brakes installed and something bolted to the exhaust to be able to potentially be driving and maybe registered.
  • 1972 350sl 4-speed also from Alonzo purchased ages ago, basically rotting probably but parked in so badly, I can’t get it out without maybe dragging it four wheeling. There’s no reason I can’t get this driving and registered, but it will be a big project.
  • 1978 450slc euro parts car (seller won’t send me the title and ghosting me) that has a 3.07 LSD in it... probably getting parted. I think Jason got this one running and driving.

Potential easy registrations: another 5
These are ones I could make legal to park on the street if I just do a little bit of work on them.
  • 1972 450sl (350sl with US 4.5 motor) 4-speed that’s already titled in my name, runs and drives too.
  • 1973 450slc US brown car I bought just for the nice interior.
  • 1973 350slc 4-speed, got it running and driving about a year ago maybe, but didn’t get the alternator charging, and also didn’t install the front and rear glass it needed, just parked it in the barn. This one even has a tow hitch already and could be lots of fun.
  • 1978 450slc 5.0 from @dgosh28 needs fenders, front bumper and lights installed and I might be able to get it easily registered, but it too has a busted windshield
  • 1980 280se 4-speed that should probably be an easy registration. I’ve got piles of extra body panels for this. So getting working on it will immediately help me get rid of a bunch of junk. Being winter, and in the w126 mode, this is the one I think makes most sense right now.

And that doesn’t even include some of the cool projects that are already registered:
  • 1985 500se AMG
  • 1985 280sl 5-speed to put seats into (eliminating a set of seats would be good)
  • 1978 450slc 5.0, one that I plan to drive much more this coming summer, even if it means keeping it outside under a cover
  • 1973 280se 4.5
^^ the four “keepers”
- a red US 1979 450sl that I want nothing more than to just sell

Basically, I’ve got my pick of projects, and I know that having to mail the title to Alonzo @Bavman25 in NC, and wait for the title, this will be sitting around too long. The majority of the progress on this one has been done IMO. The first 90% is always so much more fun.

I’ve got somewhat of the mindset that I need to have things as prepped as possible in case I get run over by a bus tomorrow.

A couple things that I feel I want to do to make it look better would be:
  • paint the rusted fog light reflector and put a piece of glass in it
  • put a few drywall screws through the junky trim that’s falling off into the rusty body. Top notch work you know.

I will get just a few of those things done and update the thread.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I wrote all that and decided I wanted to try and give the blower some help. I was going to pull the cover and decided it would be smarter to check the fuses first. The horn is now fixed, so the car could possibly pass inspection as is. I guess I will insure the vehicle and take it through the lane and see what happens. If it passes, I will have 90 days to register it.

So back up to bat.

I’ve never read or listened to Casey at the Bat, but my daughter almost had her Ronald Reagan speech she’s practiced so much switched to Casey at the Bat a year or so ago, and was devastated after all the practice with the Reagan speech. Anyway, I just now listened to this.
I envisioned that with this working horn there was new hope for the purple car (I’ve privately been calling “Eggplant” with Jason / @rwd4evr ).

Let’s see. Just a bit more affection. Now a window I can roll down will be required for inspection. Window switch is next.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Blower is now “alive” but on life support. Only smokes on bottom two speeds if I don’t give it some help. I sprayed PB Blaster everywhere in there in prep to remove and maybe lube up the motor a bit.

The car was definitely originally cypress green, not brown as I’d originally thought. Brown might have been primer over the green before the purple.

Vin: 10704412056504
Color top: 876 cypress green
Color bottom: 876
Interior: 204 Safran / Light tan

Options:
416: Hardtop Mounted
440: cruise control?
257: radio HiLine
746: Folding top fabric 8023 dunkelbraun dark brown

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Same here, fair play to you Mike - I can hardly keep up with the updates, fair play to you for taking the time to document the journey. Most importantly, fair play for knocking down every obstacle in your way, you ought to consider changing your nickname to "Bulldozer" or "Terminator" :cool:
Thank you. :)

I was trying to see if there’s a key code on that build sheet, but it looks like that’s a “no”. It seems this car has had a strangely small number of options. I wonder if the power windows were added after the fact. AC too? Weird.

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Last night I discovered that the alternator currently is not charging at idle. Seems to (at least sometimes) charge when revved. I insured it last night, and I’d like to try to take it through the inspection lane today to see what happens. I honestly don’t know if the rear brakes are doing anything, but will find out.

·
30,167 Posts
The car was definitely originally cypress green,

Vin: 10704412056504
Color top: 876 cypress green
Not rare in my garage....but a rare colour, nonetheless!

·
Outstanding Contributor
23,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Not rare in my garage....but a rare colour, nonetheless!
I knew that color looked familiar from something.

So I had a few minutes to at least get to the car. I’m waiting on a work call now at a bit after 2 pm and think I’m almost ready to leave for DMV when I get off this work call. I opened up the console to find a ton of nuts that surely some rodent squirreled away all around the shifter. Nasty. But there was no power to the busted switches and no blown fuses. Someone must have gone ape shit on the switches trying to figure out what was wrong, when all along there was simply no power to the switches. I’m confident the wiring is aftermarket. It feels like rubbery extension cords and has obvious soldering. It sure makes it simple though because I saw the same two colors in the switch that were running through the door jamb (exposed, surely aftermarket again). So I popped them out of the switch plugs and pulled them through the wood panel (that must have head this switch holes cut in it bc the build sheet is there on the bottom of the wood too). Jump box power to the rescue to roll down the window. I will have to reverse the leads to go up vs down, but I’m ready for DMV with the blower motor working, sun shining and window down.

Wish me luck.

If I win, then it’s time to start crunching numbers and see what my DMV will charge me to get this thing registered. They give me 90 days which will hopefully be enough to get an NC title in Alonzo’s name for <$150 supposedly. Then my state. That will be the trick. Heck, even a clean title in Alonzo’s name that doesn’t have a buyer name written on it will be better than essentially nothing though.

Edit: spare battery and jump box both coming along for the ride.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
634 Posts
Best of luck Fonzi. Certainly glad we don't have to worry about car titles, sounds like a lot of trouble

41 - 60 of 72 Posts