Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I should start with fuel pumps,fuel distributor,injectors or? I bought the car running but ran rough. It's sat for 6 months and I got it to start but wouldn't idle but would spit n sputter on the pedal. I have another one and I was told fuel distributor was faulty and I had it rebuilt and that car runs fine. I just don't want to start throwing parts without an idea on how to go thru and figure out what may be the problem part. Any ideas on a path to take to check fuel system? Thanks in advance for your help!

Registered
Hi Steve, agree with you that the shotgun approach is not the most effective approach - you need to diagnose what's wrong first. I also have a 79 450SL and have had similar issues, cut the long story short in my case it was thermotime. Switch which was flooding the engine due to excessive fuel from the cold start valve.

It could be something else with your car though, and I'd encourage you to review the Encyclopaedia Germanica for R107 which has fantastic troubleshooting guides; it's a sticky on the main page. Have a look and let us know your thoughts.

Registered
I would start with vacuum checks, ignition reliability and fuel pressure tests in any case of undiagnosed start/run issues.
When you can confirm spark is there uninterrupted, blue in colour and that fuel.pressures are correct for the run condition,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Djenka018
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing