Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a performing musician and a few months ago, I had to drive about 90 miles, to a community college (Three River Community College) to give a seminar on midi technology and music creation. Just as I reached my destination, there started a "clanging" sound from the rear of the car. I was covered under AAA at the time and the car was trailered back and a friend drove me back home.

I notice that the noise is quiet pronounced when the car is under acceleration and seems to go away if I let up on the accelerator.

I took the car to a local auto/tire shop and it was put on a rack and the rear-end was further lifted from the rack (separately.) The mechanic was then able to rotate both rear wheels freely to check for problems.

I was told that the passenger side axle was bad (bearing damaged/missing components) and that the axle had to be replaced to the tune of $600.00 (parts/labor.)

The problem is this: This is not the best of times for me to afford this repair and if possible, i'd like to attempt part or some of the repairs myself.

I also have access to a parts 300TD and the rear-end of this vehicle seems intact.

With all this out of the way; if anyone could answer the following questions, it would be immensely helpful:

I. Would you recommend removing the rear axle (passenger side) from the parts car to put in to my daily driver Merc.?

II.Do I have to replace the whole axle? Or only the bearing(s)?

III.Do I need any special tools for this job or special manuals? Do I need to be aware of any "special" things prior to jumping into this project?
IV.Any Special tips, cautions?

By the way, if anyone is "near" Cape Girardeau, Missouri (about 2hrs south of St Louis, MO) and would be willing to fix this problem, I would be willing to give them ALL drive train components (engine, transmission, differential, radiator, power steering pump, alternator, etc.) windshield, door windows, etc. (woodwork, inside door handles, and front-end components and grill have already been spoken for) front fenders, hood, from the parts car! (the engine I think is bad and I am told the transmission and everything else is ok.)

If anyone is interested in fixing this problem for parts off the parts car, I could offer local character references or you can refer to my feedbacks on e-Bay auction site ( mustapha63701 )

I would appreciate any tips anyone could offer on this topic and would like to thank in advance for all the time and trouble.

Sincerely,

Mustapha

1. 1979 Merc. 300TD Wagon (Red/Tan - US)
2. 1979 Merc. 300TD Wagon (White/Blue - EURO)
3. 1979 Merc. 300TD Wagon (Tan, Tan US Parts Car)

·
Registered
499 Posts
It spounds like the CV joint is gone,probably because the rubber boot has collapsed letting in road dirt.
easy repair!,not worth spending $600 big ones with the local mechanic.Go to a Merc wrecker ,by a used complete axle assembly,JUST the shaft with the two flexi joints on it.you will see how they fit together eaiser if you do it this way.Next,lift the car on that side andSECURE it so it doesn't fall on you and make a Mustapha sandwich...[xx(]
Undo the brake caliper,wash it with a hose and lots of water because it is full of asbestos[xx(]
Tie it up out the way with a bit of wire or string,you can then remove the disc.Make certain the handbrake is OFF,so it's easier to pull the disc.In the center of the disc hub is a bolt,undo this after you have placed the car in PARK.undo this bolt,on some W123 you may have to remove the rear cover on the Diff,inside the diff housing ,turn the axle until you can see the end of the axle and a security snap ring.unclip this ring,
the axle can then be pulled (pull hard) fronm the diff housing and the outer hub.Swap in your new axle.replace the center hub bolt and caliper and disc,fit the wheel and replace the snap ring and diff cover,fill to the fill hole level with 90# oil and your done.[:)]

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
It is an easy repair, however I would recommend spending the few extra dollars it will cost for a remanufactured driveaxle, the salvage yard may even sell these. I imagine you will be planning on keeping this car for some time longer and with a used driveaxle you may (or may not) have the same problem again. Remanufactured driveaxles usually only cost $10-$20 more, which I feel is worth the peace of mind in knowing you don't have to do the job again. Just so you are aware, used driveaxles usually cost about $50-$60 while remanufactured ones usually cost $60-$80.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1192589&posts=4&hl=

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1189176&posts=4&hl=

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1187682&posts=9&hl=

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1178179&posts=19&hl=

Try those....watch out for the shim washer hickness....i too would go with remanned if you dont use your donar parts....also use MB hypoid oil
jake

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind answers to my axle problem :)

I'm going to work on her as soon as I have a free day (which never really seems to happen, now a days! Why does life get so complicated, anyway? lol)

Mustapha

·
Registered
'84 300 turbodiesel
72 Posts
While there, check also the Driveline Flex Disc which is located at the end of the drive shaft and the entry to the rear axle. Inspect and replace if the rubber disks are damaged, cracked or warped.

yt300D
1984 300D @ 180,000 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Responding after 15 yrs! (Better late than never?!) :D The rear axle (1979 Merc W123 300TD) was repaired at a local Ford dealer (part + labor ended up being $450.00). I sold this particular wagon, (my last remaining W123 TD) circa 2016 to a friend, and it had 640,000 miles on its broken odometer. It was rusting apart, but still ran and drove great, and had new tires (including the spare,) and the front-end alignment, somehow, was still spot on. I told my friend that we would look for a used rear window glass on eBay, and its price would be the price for my car. In this way, if the poor wagon broke down, etc., my friend could remove/sell-off the rear window, recouping his investment! (I sold it for $450.00 and used the funds for university.)

I am no longer a gigging musician, (not since two knee surgeries back in 2010.) Currently, my daily driver is a well preserved 1995 (W140) S500 coupe (arctic white paint and gray leather interior).

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to have responded. :D

·
Registered
1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
411 Posts
Responding after 15 yrs! (Better late than never?!) :D The rear axle (1979 Merc W123 300TD) was repaired at a local Ford dealer (part + labor ended up being $450.00). I sold this particular wagon, (my last remaining W123 TD) circa 2016 to a friend, and it had 640,000 miles on its broken odometer. It was rusting apart, but still ran and drove great, and had new tires (including the spare,) and the front-end alignment, somehow, was still spot on. I told my friend that we would look for a used rear window glass on eBay, and its price would be the price for my car. In this way, if the poor wagon broke down, etc., my friend could remove/sell-off the rear window, recouping his investment! (I sold it for $450.00 and used the funds for university.)

I am no longer a gigging musician, (not since two knee surgeries back in 2010.) Currently, my daily driver is a well preserved 1995 (W140) S500 coupe (arctic white paint and gray leather interior).

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to have responded. :D

Hah, this is great, that car served you well. Do you miss owning a W123 yet?

·
Registered
W123 300CD, W123 300TD, W202 C250D Turbo
556 Posts
Great update with a touch of nostalgia. Too many posts here fizzle out and you are left wondering where it all went. Whilst you a not a gigging muso, you are still a muso which is the most important thing. I still have the wagon I bought in 2006 and it still runs strong as a daily driver (tho I do need to always be fixing something on it). Enjoy the s500, there are a few more ponies under the hood than your old OM617 but theres nothing like the ride of the wagon.

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts