Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. So I own a 1979 300SD Turbo Diesel and I can't currently unlock my door. It has recently gotten colder (Into the 20s from the 40s-50s) and I believe this is the cause, though I'm not exactly sure why. It did snow a tiny bit today so there is a chance that water entered the locking mechanism and froze but I don't believe that's what happened.

For one, I don't think it snowed hard enough to get water into the mechanism. Also, I noticed earlier when I was unlocking the car that the resistance to unlock the door was a lot stronger than it usually is. When I try to unlock the car it almost feels like I can move it a little but it's the resistance is too much for me to overcome. My dad has mentioned to me in the past that the locking system in my car uses pneumaticss, though I'm not sure this is correct. If it is, is it possible that a sharp drop in temperature could drop the pressure in the locking system so much that the pressure differential causes an large enough force exerted on my lock so that I can't force it unlocked? (Think suction cup but x100)

I know it's far-fetched but it really didn't feel like the lock was frozen. Anyways, let me know if you can help, I can't get into my car, even with my key! Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts