Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 mercedes benz coupe, It starts with a shot of starter fluid, I've drained the old gas and put new gas, switched out the fuel filter, and the fuel injectors and it still wont start up on its own when it turns over it runs fine no shaking or anything. I'm new to a lot of this what could the problem be? could it be the distributor? or the distributor cap? would a bad distributor cause your car to only run on starter fluid? Please any help would be great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my son has a 1982 280 CE that did the same thing.
After we tried everything we traced it to the fuel pump relay.
When we finally found it behind the passenger side kick panel we could see that one of the pins had shorted out. We took off the cover housing and sure enough the solder on the burnt pin contact was gone. We resoldered it and put it back and the car started and ran fine. We did however also track down a couple of spares. One on E-bay and one from a wrecker just for backup…they're getting hard to find.
Good luck with it. Harry Kay

·
Registered
1972 300SEL 4.5, 1971 Citroen DS21, 1995 Jaguar XJS
71 Posts
make sure the cold start injector is working and the molded hose isn't leaking air into the line.

if it sat for any length of time these injectors and the fuel distributor have a habit of getting gummed up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts