Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a beautiful 450 SL with only 46,000 miles on it. I am a college student with a limited budget and I drive back and forth from school (400 mi. round trip) about 5 times a year. Is it worth it for me to trade in my 98 Honda Civic for this gorgeous car? I am also worried about maintenance costs and part availability. Is it costly and difficult to maintain this Mercedes?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Katie ... I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of Mercedes with only a short time in my Fabulous '81 380SL but I do have a long history with classic and special interest cars. I had been advised by numerous enthusiasts and mechanics about the reliability of Mercedes and in particular, the 380SL series before I purchased it. You may need some more qualified advice from an owner of a 450SL from that vintage before jumping in. I have owned just about every type of sports, classic and muscle car you can think of (on a limited budget)over the years and am VERY impressed with my 380. It is only about 400 lbs. lighter than a Lincoln Town Car and feels amazingly tight, solid and sure footed for a car with 130,000 miles on the clock. When I leave the house, I can choose between a '96 Sebring conv., '94 Mustang GT conv., '69 Shelby GT-350 conv. and the SL ... and I must say that the key goes in the SL more often than not. I must add that I have not driven the SL in Winter yet - I live in Pennsylvania where snow is an issue. <br> There is alot to be said about a newer car (and I'm sure your Father would advise for the Civic)but the SL could be the start of a wonderful love affair with you and the open road. My advice - have it checked out by a competant Foreign Car (preferably Mercedes) mechanic, listen to them, and go with your heart. I have always chosen older but interesting special interest used and classic cars over the stamped out econo-boxes preferred by citizens that adamantly proclaim that they only care about a vehicle to get them from point A to point B. A case in point (my DAD). Good luck ... and may the power of Germany be with you! John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Katie, I have a 78 and I have found it to be very reliable. Most mechanics can work on them. The practical part is where I would suggest not to buy. The car is a 78 and things could need replacement. I would suggest buying it for an investment or pleasure.. From a father with 2 kids in college. Larry

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Katie:<br> <br> Your getting great advise from John & Larry. I purchased mine as I love the body style and it's a wonderful car for the money? By the way how much are they asking for the car. I averaged all the repair cost of the Benz over the past 21 years (not including simple things like oil changes) and it came out to $700 / year. Keep in mind this car only has 54,000 miles so it could be more. If you buy it right I don't see how you can go wrong if its a strong 450 as the engine is probably one of their best.<br> <br> Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep the Civic! It is dependable and easy on fuel. My 450 is not reliable but should it be at over 30 years old? Spend your time studying and stay off the used car lots! Thomas

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,770 Posts
Talk about Threadus Resurectus!!!!

The OP graduated from college, went on to receive their doctorate and is now working construction because it pays better than teaching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts