Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 300D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how many gears are in this type car? I'm driving a 300D now and the transmission sounds like it's only shifting 3 times. The engine sounds like it's supposed to hit an overdrive or something but never does. When I'm driving 55 or 60 mph the car runs smoother but still may be running high rpms. I don't know a whole lot about cars.

Anyone?

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
4 distinct gears

First gear is very low. Do you have an owner's manual? It has a guide for the rpm and shifting under normal conditions. Take a look. [8)]

·
Registered
Mercedes 300D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no

Thanks for the comment.
It does not have the manual. But you are saying it has 4 gears? Is there any possibilty that it's not shifting into 4th gear?

I will pay closer attention to the shifting when I drive it next.

If anyon else knows for sure let me know.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
The 78 300D is the favorite car in my fleet. It usually only uses the gears 2, 3 and 4. Yo...

The 78 300D is the favorite car in my fleet. It usually only uses the gears 2, 3 and 4. You only get number 1 of 4 when putting it into the lowest gear, or flooring it from the start.
John Gregg

·
Registered
Mercedes 300D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow

I noticed that one time I thought I was in first gear (5mph) and put it in the first gear in noticed that I was actually in 2nd gear. Thanks for the info. It's hard to believe that engine can go much higher than 65mph. 60mph is fast for that car.

Is there anyway to decrease the amount of smoke that comes out of the exgaust? I thought it was pretty good until I drove it at night. Really don't like that, I feel like I'm choking the car behind me. I put additive and good diesel fuel in and I just changed the oil.

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Re: wow --- about the smoke

[:)]Just thought I'd share some thoughts about that smoke. These things cause excessive smoke i these engines. Bad compression, defective injectors, insufficient air--like dirty filter or turbo not pumping right, oil burning due to bad oil control rings (blue smoke). Black smoke, from incomplete combustion of fuel, can be reduced by keeping a clean air filter and by the use of Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst. http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm This is a must in my experience for these engines. It is documented to reduce wear, smoke and increase power output by facilitating the complete burning of the fuel. This reduces smoke. I drive a 300TD-T with 230,000 miles and you can barely see the exhaust at idle. At cruise 60-70 mph, the exhaust is barely visible-you have to look hard to see it during the day. At night, with the headlights of the vehicle following, the exhaust will always be more noticable. At full load (injection pump lever against the full load stop), there will always be visible black exhaust--that is the only way these engines can develope full power. These 617 engines have no trap-oxidizer or such to reduce emissions, as do the newer diesels. As for me--I guess I kinda like a little smoke.[8)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.