Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
450 slc
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I'm doin' just fine cruising along at normal operating temperature in my 450 SLC. I stop for the traffic lights and sit there for a bit and then - it just dies - like someone pulled the plug out - no warning, no coughing and spluttering - it was as sudden as a light bulb going out when you throw the switch. I join the auto club and get my first tow about 2 blocks to the Mercedes shop and I book it in for examination. I go across the street for lunch and then I go back across the street to give the mechanic some more info. I get in the car again and it starts right up. The guy comes out and looks at it running and says "do you want to take it home?" I stop the engine again and it wont restart.

It's been running well since I picked it up 2 weeks ago - so smooth and it pulls really well with only 166,000kms behind it. I know that the '76's can have problems due to the catalitic converters being so far forward but I've driven the car further than this on other journeys on freeways etc. When it re-started it was running very smoothly. Any ideas for me. The mechanic said worst case scenario would be an ignition module ($800)Canadian dollars. It starts well from cold and when hot it needs half gas pedal to get it going / Does anyone have a similar experience I can draw on ?
Thanks in advance - Gordon, Vancouver, Canada.

·
Registered
1972 350SL Auto
17 Posts
I have a '72 350 (123,000) so no cats, but it requires no throttle either cold or hot. Che...

I have a '72 350 (123,000) so no cats, but it requires no throttle either cold or hot. Check the usual stuff like plugs, air filter, leads. Old plug leads / caps will break down when exposed to the heat from the cats as will dodgy plugs.
These are relatively cheap DIY repairs. Worth doing anyway before subjecting the beast to a mechanic, as he will probably do the same and charge for the privalege.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts