Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on BenzWorld. Thanks in advance for your advice. I currently have a 1976 240d with 186K in good working order (pics attached). I recently replaced the head and gaskets and the exhaust. As far as I know, the only other major problems are that the starter is beginning to fail, there is some rust in the floor pans, and there is a pretty significant leak in the oil coiler bypass connection.

I also have a Subaru Forester that is currently running good but has some major mechanical issues rearing their heads - cv boot gone, tranny whining and clutch slipping.

I'm not in a positon to buy a new car, so I'm trying to decide which to keep and which to sell based on which car will be on the road longer with the least amt. of money in it. My inclination is to keep the Benz, as the repairs that it currently needs are minimal and I could possible get another 100K out of it.

Are there any other common problems that I should look for or expect in the life of this car?

Thanks again,

Jacob from Maine

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Keep the Mercedes. Subaru's have all kind of issues and will cost you more in the long run.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Rust is the ONLY thing that will stop this Mercedes-Benz! Happy 125th birthday Saturday on the birth January 29th, 1886 of the BENZ Velo.

·
Registered
1975 240d
52 Posts
Bypass the oil cooler, that's what I did (since mine was cracked from rust).
65 crank n/a horsepower doesn't merit a use for an oil cooler.
And I'd keep the Benz over the subaru, unless you need something with AWD, only because these w115's are bulletproof.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,261 Posts
I'm absolutely not a fan of the diesels, but they are bullet proof, will run forever, and will outlast you and me both if you keep it up. The Subaru wasn't built to last, but the Benz was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts