Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am trying to put the 'lipstick' on my pig. I have had my 450SLC for s few months now and have had the first knockback of getting it registered. Yes too much rust! (who would have thought?) plus a few other niggling issues such as the too loose steering (I need to replace more rubbers).
I am in Country Victoria Australia and want to do most of the work myself, OK the rust cutting and welding will challenge me - but hey I have a welder and an angle grinder what could go wrong?
The car was a sort of one owner car family (yes passed onto family members) and it has suffered a bit with the truth and lack of maintenance. It looks good but could be better!
Oil leaks here and there most of them I have fixed (need to degrease and drive the car a bit to find new ones) I do have one on the auto trans from the screw underneath which is just above a banjo bolt and line going to the cooler (I think), I have not yet found a diagram of the Auto trans yet. It is quite badly damaged on the screw head (flat head recessed screw), I think it just requires a new sealing washer. I have to redo a lot of the back end bushes etc to tighten that up along with the front end/steering which there is a lot of info about on line etc that I have found.
OK then next I will endevour to become familliar with the D-Jet injection system! (vacuum vacuum vacuum vacuum).
Then (more vacuum vacuum vacuum vacuum) I will get the airconditioning system to work again.
Cheers Martin.

Premium Member
Welcome aboard mate. Sounds like you have your hands full at present so good luck. I live on the Gold Coast which is a lot closer and in the same time zone (well, mostly, the curtains fade with daylight saving in Qld):giggle:. My car is RHD like yours so I've had lots of experience with the heater box , levers etc, so don't hesitate to PM me if a search doesn't help in that regard.

Registered
There are a few vic members with 107's on ozbenz and a truckload of reference material.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I have been poking around on all the forums and facebook and have read many great 'How to guides' from Aussiemerc. I also owned an old Volvo which had a D-jet on it! but it was a Sh!tbox so I never had to poke around with it much ecxept block up some vacuum leaks. Yes I did have furry car!

Premium Member
There are "how to's" on just about everything in the Sticky section. Many contributions from forum members going back years- a fabulous resource.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure that I will be taking the 450 on some of those roads! That pic was of us a couple of hours out of Darwin. Yes there were a few road trains which went past us and there may have been a little more than just dust on the little Volvo.
Here is a progress pic from a few weeks ago of the 450 getting its spagetti of fuel injection hoses replaced, I am only going to get back to it again in about 2 weeks as I have a few other engagments which I have to attend to first before getting to starting some 'amature' rust removal. Fortunately there is a lot of rust removal posts here that now I dont feel so daunted in givving it a go.
Oh and how apt, the photo is upside down (Just so you know I'm from a land down under) I may have to ensure I have all of my pics upside down so those in the northern hemisphere can see them properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts