Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im working on a 450SL that suddenly stopped running, literally I took out to wash it, drove it home, and boom she descided not to run, I have the appropriate fuel psi, Ive checked every relay I could get my hands on, the fuel filter (although redundant is clear). I am looking for some help to what this could be, it will turn over for a few secounds from cold start, and immediatly shut down. Any help would be appreciated, and things such as plugs, air leaks, and the normal things have all been checked.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Welcome, I think a little more info might help,
How long have you had the car?
Was the car been running well before this?
Did you power wash the engine compartment?
How many miles are on it?
Where are you located, general idea is fine.
Did any water enter the cabin area, ie. wet carpet?

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Hi, Im working on a 450SL that suddenly stopped running, literally I took out to wash it, drove it home, and boom she descided not to run, I have the appropriate fuel psi, Ive checked every relay I could get my hands on, the fuel filter (although redundant is clear). I am looking for some help to what this could be, it will turn over for a few secounds from cold start, and immediatly shut down. Any help would be appreciated, and things such as plugs, air leaks, and the normal things have all been checked.
Wild ass guess... Are trigger points firing? If you washed the engine, did water get in the dizzy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, I think a little more info might help,
How long have you had the car?
Was the car been running well before this?
Did you power wash the engine compartment?
How many miles are on it?
Where are you located, general idea is fine.
Did any water enter the cabin area, ie. wet carpet?
I've had the car for about 20 years always has been in top running condition, I never power wash an engine(habit), um wow I should know this but reg. and car are at my garage I will check, probably 60k ~ish,
I'm located in the Berkshires NE US. No water got into the cabin, it was a detailed wash down, only tap pressure and non-nozzled pressure in the engine comp. I do not run this during the winter either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be checking the points, variation voltages soon, I really should have thought of that thanks, I will follow up good or bad. Thank you for your replies guys. 3 heads are always better than one :p

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
When you say it will turn over for a few seconds when cold, do you mean it starts and then dies? If so then your probably getting fuel from your cold-start injector only and when that shuts down your not getting any more fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it briefly fires, and dies, seems like some type of relay that switches between cold start injector and normal rails isn't working.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Open the damper and spray some starting fluid in there, if it runs you have a fuel problem.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Does it fire while your holding the key in the start position, and then die out when it is released??? Or does it continue to stay running for a few seconds, five or more, after the key is positioned to the run position.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
No water got into the cabin, it was a detailed wash down, only tap pressure and non-nozzled pressure in the engine comp. I do not run this during the winter either.
You probably got more water in the components doing it that way than you would have if you'd used a nozzle. The nozzle increases the pressure, but reduces the amount of water actually coming out of the hose.

I washed down my engine a couple of weeks ago. Cleaner solution sprayed on, then a scrub brush to clean it all up, then sprayed off with a nozzle. When I started it it loped a little bit, until the engine was up to operating temperature and had dried everything out. Mine is a different system to yours - KJet, instead of your DJet - and yours is much more dependent on electronics than mine, but the principle is the same.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,329 Posts
Hard to see, but not impossible for water get into the trigger points from external soft spray.

Off top of my head, if this happened to my D-Jet:

- check connection that goes from trigger points to harness - maybe that plug was disturbed or has water in it.

- check ground wires located under air cleaner near back of intake manifold - that is where all the injector grounds come together.

- make sure fuel pump is running - pump or the relay may be acting up. (You should hear the pump start when you first turn the key to second position After a few sec it shuts off. Then when you start engine it is supposed to come on again. If it doesn't you get no fuel.)

- Check fuel pump fuse.

Let us know how you make out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts