Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new member here, please point me in the right direction if this is the incorrect place for this post.

After sitting next to the car for 30 mins or so scratching my head and muttering to myself, I came to BenzWorld and read through some old post of users looking for help with no start issues, most seemed to be resolved, but my particular situation is a bit different from others I have seen on here.

Like the title says I have a 74' 450SLC I parked the car in February and it was running with no issues ( no major issues that is...)
This afternoon I popped in a new battery and went to fire her up.... and nothin'

I have power ie a/c radio windows etc work.
When I turn the key the fuel pump runs
But the starter does not turn.

I checked the fuses which are in order, I thought it may be the park/ neutral safety switch so I turned the key and moved the gear selector through all the gears ( its an automatic), & I even talked the wife into turning the key while I tap the starter with a wrench, no dice.

What am I missing here.
Has my starter bit the dust while sitting?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,473 Posts
There are 5 components in the starting circuit
1. battery
2. ignition switch
3. gear shift lockout switch
4. solenoid relay
5. starter motor
and their interconnecting wires.

You know the battery is good. All else is suspect.

You don't mention whether the solenoid clicks when you try to start. If it does, your starter motor or its connection to battery is faulty. If it doesn't, your problem is in the solenoid or the switches or the wires connecting them.

Use a voltmeter or test light on the solenoid to see if it gets 12V when your wife turns the key to position 3 (start).
If it does, then the solenoid is faulty. If it doesn't the problem lies in the switches or the wiring.

I don't know how easy it is to access the lockout switch. It can be tested by jumping across it to simulate its closed status in Park and Neutral and attempting to start the car. If the car then starts, this switch is your culprit.

The last possibility is the ignition switch or its wiring. There are posts on the forum about how to remove and test it.

GL

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,121 Posts
You could try using a jumper or hand switch on the terminals just in front of the battery. Look up which ones to connect.
Engine to chassis ground could be bad. Check battery ground too. Might be good enough for low amps, but not starter?
If everything was working before, unless you changed something, likely some sort of bad connection rather than part failure?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,121 Posts
This is one thread in using bump switch or wire.

I think I used the two outer terminals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply and the additional info.
I will get out and tinker some more tomorrow and see if anything comes of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts