Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished the complete interior, carpeting and Coverlay Dashcap on the 1973 450SL. This forum was a BIG LIFESAVER. Thanks to all for your inputs and help.

Now, it's off to the mechanic for what I hope isn't going to result in a 2nd mortgage. lol

Seat Covers GAHH. Dye For console and Coverlay Cap from WorldUPH.com.

Great products, excellent service.....

I worked my sorry ass off doing this interior....but the results were worth every beer and curse word.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,346 Posts
Well done. Looks fantastic.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rowdie....Did I tell you about the ass reaming I got on a top installation? A place that has done work for me in the past put a top on my 85 380.....and for what they charged for labor I could have bought 3-4 tops and experimented myself. sometimes people you think you can trust will bend you over without warning.

Anyway...lesson learned. Going to put the new soft top on this one myself...have a little painting to do on some door dings first.....

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Congratulations! Car looks great! I know what you have been through - did mine in what seems same same colour a while back.

But I didn't the coverlay dash. For some reason, the original on my car is dark brown, while the rest is mahogany. had thought of just going with black or changing dash to mahogany. In end I do nothing and don't worry about the smallish crack.

The softtop is not that bad to do and as you know - lots of good stuff in stickies.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Thanks Rowdie....Did I tell you about the ass reaming I got on a top installation? A place that has done work for me in the past put a top on my 85 380.....and for what they charged for labor I could have bought 3-4 tops and experimented myself. sometimes people you think you can trust will bend you over without warning.

Anyway...lesson learned. Going to put the new soft top on this one myself...have a little painting to do on some door dings first.....
This is a good attitude. The (very,very good) shop in our area told me that they order two tops whenever the "New guy" puts his first one on.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Coverlay dash cap was black standard color. I ordered the OEM color from World UPH, followed the instructions, used the prep solvent and painted it prior to installation.
The Coverlay cap fit like a glove...You would be hard pressed to know it was a cap...and the paint matched perfectly...I sprayed the center console as well.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
The Coverlay dash cap was black standard color. I ordered the OEM color from World UPH, followed the instructions, used the prep solvent and painted it prior to installation.
The Coverlay cap fit like a glove...You would be hard pressed to know it was a cap...and the paint matched perfectly...I sprayed the center console as well.
I bought a used black console and sprayed it too. Amazing how well that "dye" covers.

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
The car looks absolutely fantastic. You should be very proud of it. How long did the installation take? It looks like the car just left the showroom. What a fabulous job.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, The first step was cleaning the thing out. a Rodent had made a nest in the dash and stuffed every crevace in the car with Mesquite beans. lmao No shit. Luckily the little bastard didn't piss on anything or chew much up in the wiring.

I spent half a day disassembling the interior....the seats were totally GONE.., but the horsehair was totally degraded down to nothing...I had to get to replacement seat headrests.

I spent about 6 hours installing the carpet...first time I had done one....the forum helped immensely. about 3 hours masking and dying the console and dash cap. Trickiest part was getting it under the console sides....I didn't remove the console...that required some real finesse. The fricking carpet was stuck like concrete to the rear package shelf...The carpet I got from GAHH was a little oversized....so I used the take out pieces for a template....

Hope I didn't get the cart before the horse....I've never had this car out on the road...just drove around the farm lot and idled around the shop.....I'm hoping I didn't just put a crapload of money in a POS. Time will tell.

While I'm waiting on the body shop and mechanic on this one....I'm moving on the dyeing the seats in the 85 380SL....and it will be mostly finished....with the exception of thost pesky cneter vent AC issues. Plenty of alcohol in the fridge for that undertaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts